Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing attributes in ArcMap 9.3.1 with an OLE DB connection to Access

12-21-2010 05:29 AM
MattBrodersen
New Contributor III
Hello,

I need to be able to edit attributes in ArcMap 9.3.1 while having an OLE DB connection to a Microsoft Access database. When I attempt to start an editing session I receive the following error:

"Could not edit the data in the folder or database you selected. Check to see that you have the appropriate permissions."

I also found this in the ArcGIS help (http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgiSDEsktop/9.3/index.cfm?TopicName=Adding_OLE_DB_connections😞

"Data accessed through an OLE DB database connection is read-only in ArcGIS. However, it is possible to edit the data programmatically."

I need to have the connection to the Access database because there will be multiple users in different locations and the database will be updated regularly. I then need the capability to click on a point on the map and be able to change the value of the attribute. The change would then be reflected in the Access database and then other users would see the change. Does anyone know how I could achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide! 🙂
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
You could try this. It may not work with 9.3.1.
In ArcCatalog, go to the access database, highlight all the features you want to edit and right click, select priveleges, and set the priveledges to the appropriate settings.
I'd test this for you first but I don't have an mdb to work with right now.
0 Kudos
denisedavis
Occasional Contributor III
BTW, it seems I can't spell privileges this morning...:)
0 Kudos
MattBrodersen
New Contributor III
You could try this. It may not work with 9.3.1.
In ArcCatalog, go to the access database, highlight all the features you want to edit and right click, select priveleges, and set the priveledges to the appropriate settings.
I'd test this for you first but I don't have an mdb to work with right now.

When I right click on the table I want to be able to edit I don't get the "privileges" option. There's properties but it doesn't contain any privileges settings;.
0 Kudos