Edit tool not selecting in Arcmap 10.2

04-29-2014 10:26 AM
TiffanyBledsoe
New Contributor III
I have recently upgraded to 10.2 and I have noticed that occasionally I can't select a polygon using the edit tool while in an edit session. I will click the polygon but it doesn't show in the attribute table that anything is selected and when I try to reshape the polygon I get the message that nothing is selected. ArcMap doesn't freeze I can still do everything else except selecting a polygon. Has anyone else had this problem? I have never had this problem until upgraded to 10.2. I have had to save and exit and reopen to fix this and it happens about once an hour.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TiffanyBledsoe
New Contributor III
It has now happened twice since I wrote the first post. It has gotten worse because it was happening once or twice a day. I appreciate any advice you might have.
0 Kudos
Zeke
by
Regular Contributor III
Is the polygon layer set to selectable (4th icon at the top of the TOC)?
0 Kudos
TiffanyBledsoe
New Contributor III
Yes it is. I will be working on the different polygons in the layer and then it will stop selecting. I sometimes will have already selected it once before to edit and then when I click it again it won't be selectable.
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Just out of curiosity, what's the backend data store... file geodatabase or an enterprise geodatabase?  I'm grasping a bit at straws here, but if you're using an enterprise geodatabase I'm wondering if your session is somehow timing out.
0 Kudos
TiffanyBledsoe
New Contributor III
I am using an enterprise geodatabase. How would I check to see if my session is timing out?
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
It's just a possibility, though I would think you'd be getting a connection error if that were the case.  Which RDBMS platform (Oracle 11g, SQL Server 2012, etc.)?  If you have access to the RDBMS tools such as SQL Server Studio Manager or SQL Developer, then one simple thing to try is to check and see if the account you're using is still connected to the database when the issue in ArcMap occurs again.  In other words, when the selection problem happens again, leave ArcMap open and check to see if your session still exists in the database.
0 Kudos
TiffanyBledsoe
New Contributor III
I checked to see if I was still connected when I was unable to select and I was still connected.
0 Kudos
TiffanyBledsoe
New Contributor III
I am currently waiting on a solution to losing the ability to select features. I have an open incident with ESRI Support so hopefully they will get back with me soon.
0 Kudos