Select to view content in your preferred language

Edit layers in ArcMap 10

04-27-2011 10:18 PM
YairYablovitz
New Contributor
Hi everyone

I've just started to use ArcMap 10 (worked so far on 9.3.1) and I'm having basic problem with editing. I didn't find where to choose the layer to edit. In the previous version it was on the editor toolbar, but here I can't find it anywhere...

Thanx a lot,

Yair
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
FrankVignati
Occasional Contributor II
Hi everyone

I've just started to use ArcMap 10 (worked so far on 9.3.1) and I'm having basic problem with editing. I didn't find where to choose the layer to edit. In the previous version it was on the editor toolbar, but here I can't find it anywhere...

Thanx a lot,

Yair

when you start an editing session the create features window should appear with templates of all editable layers that are visible, a draw back to teen is a layer must be visible to edit it
read the help on templates, it is the way 10 handles layers
and you can add the target tool back to your editor tool bat in ten by customizing the toolbar, butit can cause problems with the templates as we have found
0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Yair,

Yes, the editing functionality had changed a bit in ArcGIS 10.  The target editing layer is no longer on the toolbar.  You can now select the layer to edit from the Create Features window and then a construction tool.  Look at the following document for further detail: 

A quick tour of editing

There is also the option to switch back to 9.x edit environment.  It is described in the following blog:

Setting the Edit and Snapping Environments in ArcGIS 10 to the Classic (9.x) Format

-Timothy
0 Kudos