DXF vs DGN vx DWG - Which is best for ArcMap (parcel data) ?

10-24-2013 10:23 AM
JaySchwinn
New Contributor
Hello,
I am purchasing some parcel data for use in an Arc environment.  I have used each of these formats they offer (dxf, dgn, and dwg) successfully in ArcGIS in the past.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which format to choose?  I won't be able to look at the data beforehand, so I'm trying to find the best candidate.

I'll be using lines and parcel Id from these CAD files.  All my other data is in geodatabases.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
they are all equally fine.  I would suggest that you right away convert them and put them in your database.

You may also ask if they can give you shape files instead.
0 Kudos
JaySchwinn
New Contributor
they are all equally fine.  I would suggest that you right away convert them and put them in your database.

You may also ask if they can give you shape files instead.

Thanks for the reply! Shapefiles are not an option here, or I'd definitely go for that. 
I have a good feeling that i'll have to do some work to get them into a workable shapefile or feature class for symbolizing and joining/selecting.

Typically, with CAD parcels I've seen, the parcels will be represented by lines (which would need to be converted to polygons to symbolize) and the IDs are Annotation (which would need to be joined to the newly-created polygons to query)
0 Kudos