Download location for tutorial contents?

Jump to solution
01-07-2015 12:33 PM
PatrickMaynard
New Contributor

We're running a licensed version of ArcMap on a machine at work, but I'm not sure we have the box sitting around anywhere anymore (or even that we had the box in the first place -- it may have been an all-digital installation from day one, or the IT folks who imaged the machine a couple years ago may have used it for kindling on a cold winter's night, for all I know).

Anyhow, is there any place other than the installation CD where I can find Atlanta.gdb and the other "ArcTutor" files? It doesn't look like we installed them the first time around. I'm hoping I can just go to an online location and download the tutorial material.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

You can download the tutorial data from your My Esri page under My Organizations - Products - Downloads - ArcGIS for Desktop - View Downloads

Hope that helps you find it.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JeffWard

You can download the tutorial data from your My Esri page under My Organizations - Products - Downloads - ArcGIS for Desktop - View Downloads

Hope that helps you find it.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
ElliottRobinson
New Contributor III

When you get to the Downloads part as referenced by Jeff Ward, click on Backup Media, then select the Download Media radio button, then click next.

Click the green download button for "ArcGIS 10.1 Tutorial Data for Desktop".

The esri download manager will appear. Click on "Click to download your file now."

The file will be a .iso file. You should use the checksum provided at the bottom of the backup media page to check that the .iso downloaded correctly (I use winmd5free to run my checksums, but there are plenty of other ways to do it).

Finally, use an .iso viewer to copy the .iso to your hard drive, then double click the windows installer file to run the tutorial setup.

0 Kudos
PatrickMaynard
New Contributor

Belated thanks to both of you!

Random question: If I'm trying to find our official ESRI "organization name" value (in order to get access to that "My Organizations" tab Jeff mentions), is there a way to find that using our desktop product?

The initial splash screen doesn't seem to show anything, and the "About ArcMap" screen only yields our license type ("Basic"), rather than any information about the name of the organization as ESRI sees it.

I'm going to try plugging in a few variations on our org name in hopes that one clicks, but I figure that if there's a useful answer on this thread, it might help someone else.

0 Kudos
JeffWard

You might need to get your esri account to be the point of contact for your organization to be able to access the downloads.  When you purchase the license you are allowed one person to contact esri tech support and that person also has access to the downloads at My Esri.  You can probably call customer service to see who that is and use that account to download the data or get it switched to your profile.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
0 Kudos
PatrickMaynard
New Contributor

Meant to close the loop on this. Following your advice, we were able to get to the materials. I will mark this as "assumed answered."

0 Kudos