Do I need ArcGIS Server to have geodatabases in SQL Standard

Jump to solution
05-02-2014 06:46 AM
AnthonySaltis
New Contributor
I'm I understanding the ArcGIS 10.1 help documentation correctly?

It's possible for ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.2 to create geodatabases in SQL express without ArcGIS server.  If you expand beyond the limits of SQL express and install SQL Standard, you now need to install ArcGIS Server to be able to create (enterprise?) geodatabases .

Thanks,
Tony
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
A Standard or Advanced (but not Basic) Desktop seat can create an Express-based
Desktop geodatabase for up to three clients.  A Workgroup license is required for
Express-based Workgroup geodatabases for up to ten clients.

Once you move away from SQL-Server Express, you're automatically in the domain
of enterprise geodatabases, which require an ArcGIS Server license.

This page on Multiuser Geodatabases explains the different options.

- V

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III
No, you don't need to have ArcGIS Server installed to create sde enterprise geodatabase. You just need to have a valid ArcSDE Enterprise license to create it.
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
A Standard or Advanced (but not Basic) Desktop seat can create an Express-based
Desktop geodatabase for up to three clients.  A Workgroup license is required for
Express-based Workgroup geodatabases for up to ten clients.

Once you move away from SQL-Server Express, you're automatically in the domain
of enterprise geodatabases, which require an ArcGIS Server license.

This page on Multiuser Geodatabases explains the different options.

- V
0 Kudos
AnthonySaltis
New Contributor
Thank you both for the replies.

Thanks for the link Vince.  The diagram will be very useful to explain to the managers.

Have a great weekend,
Tony
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Thank you both for the replies.

Thanks for the link Vince.  The diagram will be very useful to explain to the managers.

Have a great weekend,
Tony

Actually, to be honest, I find that diagram - if you are referring to the first image visible on the page Vince linked - rather unhelpful and kind of misleading.

It suggests that Desktop, Workgroup and Enterprise Geodatabase are somehow stacked on top of each other, with one supplementing the other like some sort of "extensions", or that they even "communicate" through each other.

This is not the case. You either have a Desktop, Workgroup, or Enterprise Geodatabase, not all at once. Essentially, and especially from a user perspective, the difference between the types of ArcSDE multi user geodatabases boils down to a different licensing scheme, allowing you to run more or less consecutive clients / connections against the geodatabase (3, 10 or limited by licensed hardware).

Technically, the differences between the multi user geodatabases are minimal though, except for a different means of authorizing your licensing scheme, and a few other differences.
0 Kudos