Select to view content in your preferred language

Dividing/Splitting Lines

02-23-2012 07:32 AM
JamesBegley
New Contributor
ArcGIS 10 does not have the editing option of "divide" that previous versions had. Now the only option that seems similiar is "split." The problem that I'm having is that I used to be able to take a line that was a single feature and divide it into 100 meter segments, and generally the last segment would be shorter than 100 meters because the line wasn't completely dividable by 100 (this wasn't not a problem for my analysis). I currently have a line that is around 41 miles long (66,068.503 meters to be exact) and I want to divide it, or split it, into quarter mile segments (402.336 meters). Again, it doesn't matter if the last segment isn't quite a quarter mile. The split option apparently does not allow me do this. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
17 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Hi Joe -

Is there any chance the ArcGIS for Local Government - Address Management add-in has the tools you need? Maybe the Create Road and Split Intersecting Road tool?

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/localgovernment/10.1/index.html#//028s00000073000000

I can't seem to find the download for the Address Managment add-in.  Keeps sending me in circles, do you have a direct link?  I wanted to see if that would help in my situation.

My task: I have transects that are already split into segments of variable lengths.  I need to re-divide the non-contiguous transects into 1Km segments.  Some of the segments are already shorter than the 1Km, so will have to have additional length added from the next segement (and deal with the remainder).  Each new segement will retain it's old tag, and get a new field with a unique identifier for the new segment.  Then I will need to reassign the appropriate new segments tags to an associated point feature.

I have just started my search for possible tools or starting points, but realize I will probably have to write something more custom.  If anyone has any suggestions or leads, it would be appreciated.  I most likely will need to start a new thread for this, but just in case....   Thanks
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Occasional Contributor III
Here are the download locations for the Address Data Management tools. You might take a look and re-post your question to the Local Government forum: http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/212-Local-Government.

For ArcGIS 10:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=255f253734d8484dba29b4cc1499793b

For ArcGIS 10.1:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=915796ef17124d09a25130c223835474
0 Kudos
NicoleCarlozo
New Contributor
I just downloaded the tool from the Editing Labs group. However, I am wondering if there is anything available to split multiple line segments within the same feature?
0 Kudos
NicoleCarlozo
New Contributor
I was able to find the answer to my question here:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/36724/partitioning-a-line-into-segments

While the "Split Line at Point" tool did not initially work, I just kept running it until it was successful. Not sure why it did not work initially. I think defining a processing extent helped.
0 Kudos
SusanBien
New Contributor
I'm looking for a way to split a line at the midpoint between two vertices.  Or if I have a series of line segments, is there anyway to go down the line and merge every 2 segments together?  I have a series of slope measurements on a road.  Just splitting the segment at each vertex does not accurately reflect the data which was collected at each vertex.  The vertex needs to be the midpoint of each line segment.  It can be a script or a program, etc as long as it does the job.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I'm looking for a way to split a line at the midpoint between two vertices.  Or if I have a series of line segments, is there anyway to go down the line and merge every 2 segments together?  I have a series of slope measurements on a road.  Just splitting the segment at each vertex does not accurately reflect the data which was collected at each vertex.  The vertex needs to be the midpoint of each line segment.  It can be a script or a program, etc as long as it does the job.  Thanks.

Create two double fields called X_LINE_MID and Y_LINE_MID on the lines.  Use the Geometry calculator to calculate the X and Y MIdpoint values of the lines into those fields.  Open the tableview of the lines and export that to a table (not a feature class).  Use the Make X/Y Event Layer tool to create points from the Midpoint X and Y coordinates of the exported table.  Export the layer its context menu in the table of contents to permanently covert the event table layer into an actual point Feature Class.  That should be what you want and each point will have all of the attributes of the lines they came from.
0 Kudos
SusanBien
New Contributor
I need to end up with a series of line segments that are equal to the original line feature.  I was looking to split the line at the midpoint between every two vertices(vertices every 0.1 feet)  If that isn't possible I was wondering if I could split the line every 0.05 feet.  I would then merge every 2 segments into 1 segment to get the result I need.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I need to end up with a series of line segments that are equal to the original line feature. I was looking to split the line at the midpoint between every two vertices(vertices every 0.1 feet) If that isn't possible I was wondering if I could split the line every 0.05 feet. I would then merge every 2 segments into 1 segment to get the result I need.

Split the line at every vertex then apply the method I specified to get the midpoints of each of these split segments exactly midway between the original vertices. Extract those points as I described previously. Then you can split the original line on those points and except for the end vertices of the line (or any 2 point line) a single vertex of the original line will now be somewhere in the center of these newly split lines. That seems to be what you are describing as the result of the splitting and merging that you want. The ends of the line will be connected to split line segments that are 1/2 the distance to the original vertex that was closest to them.

So if the original line looked like this (where red periods are line ends and black periods are pseudo-node vertices).

.______.____.______.____.

The end result of the process would look like this (assume all periods have no actual width so the set of 5 lines below are in fact the exact same total length as the single line above):

.___.___.__.__.___.___.__.__.

If this is not the result you want, use the above method of displaying lines and vertices to depict how the first line shown should look at the end of the process you really want to accomplish on that line.
0 Kudos