Dissolve tool: Invalid Field Type error

Jump to solution
04-05-2018 06:37 AM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Are there any data types that the dissolve tool won't accept as a field to aggregate by? I am getting this error but I think it's a error of misdirection because my python tool works perfectly fine when run locally but after it is published to ArcGIS Server, I get this error when it reaches the line in the script where it runs the dissolve tool. I am trying to dissolve using numerous fields with data types of string, integer, float, GUID, and date. I'm not understanding why it would work in ArcMap but not when it's published to the server. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Very likely it is because there is a GUID

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Very likely it is because there is a GUID

MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

Yup, that was the problem. I got around it by copying the GUID field to a field of string data type, doing the dissolve, and copying the string data back to a GUID field and carrying on with the script. I understand GUIDs are supposed to be unique so there shouldn't be a need to dissolve them, but that's not so in my case. It annoys me that it works fine in ArcMap and then when published to Server it breaks, making debugging a painfully slow process.

0 Kudos