Displaying time-enabled data from a related table

04-21-2017 09:42 AM
RoseMartersteck
New Contributor

I have a shapefile of zip codes (n = 500), and I have a table of air pollution data by month for a 10 year span for each zip code (n = 100,000). I am using ArcGIS Desktop, and I want to use the Time Slider to display the change in air pollution by month for each zip code.

In ArcGIS Help, they mention that it is possible to display the data this way because the geography doesn't change. However, I haven't found a way to use the related data under the "Time" tab in properties.

How can I access the related records from the shapefile? Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Rose,

You will want to import your shapefile and table into a File Geodatabase so that you can create a relationship class between the feature class and table.  You can then enable time on the table and this should cascade to the features through the relationship class.

RoseMartersteck
New Contributor

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the response. I created the relationship class using a forward relationship (zip code, then air pollution data), but the only options under time remain the fields in the shapefile.

Do you know where I would access the features through the relationship? I am also going to try making a space time cube.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You will want to add the table into ArcMap > right-click on the table > Properties > Time tab.

C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III

I have similar data- points that have 4 related records for each representing different time periods. I set up my relationship class but since there is a record for each point all the time, I cannot tell if the relationship is cascading through the features since the symbology is still tied to the feature class (which has the feature names) and the related values should really be what is being displayed (the values in the related records) so you can tell things are changing. I understand the concept but cannot visualize the data to show that some points get bigger/change color/whatever type of distinction depending on the time of day/related record being accessed. How can you see what is happening?

0 Kudos
JoeBryant1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jake,

Is this functionality enabled in ArcGIS Pro? We published our feature layer from Pro, and created a Survey123 Form from the related table (monitoring data) of the first feature class (monitoring locations). We'd now like to time enable the data in our web map and Dashboard. But I'm only seeing information on using a Join in ArcGIS Pro. I need to use a relationship class to support the Survey123 form.

Is this currently possible? Do I need to download the feature service as a GDB and open in ArcMap, time enable and republish?

HayleighFisher
New Contributor III

Also not able to follow this workflow in ArcGIS Pro is this not supported? 

Thanks,

Hayleigh 

Braden_Miller
New Contributor

I'm trying to do the same thing, but there is no 'time' property available for the table.

There is a 'time' property for the GDB feature class, but the fields from the table are not included in the 'Time Field' drop down menu, despite having created a relationship class.

Screenshot 2023-04-27 133555.jpg

0 Kudos
RobertoRossi
Occasional Contributor

I'm interested on this topic too.

In ArcGIS Pro I cannot see the Time tab in the related table that contain the Date field