Disappearing Annotation once you start editing

09-14-2012 12:02 PM
AlisonCorey
New Contributor
ArcMap10 SP1. I have a annotation FC that was "Converted to Anno" from labels. When I start to edit (adjust) or add anno they
disappear and are no where to be found..anyone else having this problem??
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
WilliamMortimer
New Contributor III
Hi Alison,
Few things with annotation...
Normally it is scale or wrong targets that cause anno to disappear.
Sometimes other labels can interfere with the placement because of conflict buffers etc - unless you allow overlapping anno or control placement more fully.

I assume you have created geodatabase anno and for this example (the whole map not just the visible area).
Check your current map scale - you may be zoomed in / out if the anno has a scale range.
Also in the TOC in arcmap you might see a second "check box" with your anno FC. I Think its normally labelled 'default' - you might want to toggle this as well.

There is a section called unplaced annotation. This is normally red and turned off by default.  You may want to check this:

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2009/03/25/how-to-get-missing-annotation-into-an-existing-annotati...

Annotation also requires various licence levels for particular tasks - you might want to check that as well.
Annotation used to have target groups - your new annotation could be going to the default not your target.

Hope this helps in some way.
William
0 Kudos
JoshThompson1
Occasional Contributor II
Also, if you instead created the annotation as map annotation (rather than into a geodatabase), check to see which annotation class is currently active.  If the currently active annotation class has been turned off, the newly created annotation will not appear.

From the "Draw" toolbar, click on the "Drawing" tab, the click on the "Active annotation target", then select the desired annotation class.

Also verify that the desired annotation class is turned on.  From the Table of Contents, "Properties" > "Annotation Groups"
0 Kudos