Difference mosaic Dataset and CRF

04-11-2021 12:30 AM
A_n_d_r_e_a
New Contributor III

Dear Community,

ive got a understanding problem. What ist the difference between a mosaic dataset and a CRF file.

I`ve got air pollution data with one variable over a time dimension of two years for every month.

I dont know which to choose. Mosaic or CRF?

Any proposals?

Thanks forward!

Greetings,

Andrea

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Mosaic datasets—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Multidimensional raster data—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

If your data is multidimensional, why not the latter?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
A_n_d_r_e_a
New Contributor III

Hey Dan,

because i`ve got some datasets with time profiles an I want to put them together...thats why i thought mosaic or CRF fits better...or what do you think?

Thanks forward!

Greetings,

Andrea

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have same type or dimension of data (all layers showing either Temperature or LULC or Wind speed, etc.) for different time and same area: Use Mosaic Dataset

If you have data where different layer is showing different dimension (one layer for temperature, another layer for wind speed, another layer for precipitation, etc.) for different time and same area: Use Multidimensional Data

I`ve got air pollution data with one variable over a time dimension of two years for every month.

Mosaic Dataset looks appropriate since the values of Raster depict only one variable.

Think Location
0 Kudos
A_n_d_r_e_a
New Contributor III

Hey Jayanta,

Ok, thanks for your Answer. And what is with the CRF fileformat?

Greetings,

Andrea

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

CRF  is  Multidimentional Cloud Raster Format. If you want to map multiple variables of Air Pollution over a period of time, you may go with CRF, since those datasets are expected to be huge and complex.

Think Location
0 Kudos