Define Projection Not working

06-03-2020 05:01 AM
MJune
by
New Contributor II

I am trying to use the Define Projection tool and a feature class in an enterprise geodatabase.  I am receiving an error that it can't create a projection file (ERROR 000054).  I have confirmed there is no locks on the table, the user logged in is the owner of the table and has db owner on the database.  I am using a standard license.  I've tried in both Pro and ArcCatalog (10.5.1).  I've tried several tables with the same result.  Is there security I am missing?  Can there not be any locks on any table/view in the database while running the tool?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From the screenshot, the FC appears to be a stand-alone FC in the root level and not a FC in a feature dataset participating in a special relationship, like geometric network, topology, etc...  Correct?

Check the database logs.  If it is an issue on the DBMS that is forcing the error on the client, the logs should help you find the issue.

MJune
by
New Contributor II

You are correct, this is a stand along feature class. I will see what we can find in the database logs

Thank You,

Melissa

0 Kudos
ManuKaur
Esri Contributor

This documentation may be of some help to you.

000054: Cannot create a projection file for .—Help | Documentation 

I suggest double checking that the output is not read only.

NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello @MJune ,

Out of curiosity, are you on Oracle ? I opened a BUG less than a year ago regarding this issue:

BUG-000152217: In ArcGIS Pro, the Define Projection tool fails to assign a projected coordinate system for Oracle geodatabase feature classes.

Upgraded yesterday to latest SDE version, still not fixed...

0 Kudos
vijaybadugu
Occasional Contributor II

I am also facing same issue with SQL Server. I was trying to use define projection for a spatial and it always throws error and even after restarted the desktop . I don't have any clue on this 

0 Kudos