Database connection to SQL Server Web Edition

08-28-2017 03:59 AM
Ignacio_JavierMoratiel_Rodrígu
New Contributor

Is it possible to create a connection to SQL Server Web Edition (v12.0.5000) from ArcCatalog? I've updated SQL Server Native Client to the latest version possible but I get this error when I create the connection: "Connection was attempted with an older version of SQL Server client communications software that is not supported"

From other applications I can connect without problems, it is only ArcCatalog that does not connect

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS 10.5.x—System Requirements | ArcGIS Desktop 

As per the above documentation, supported SQL Server editions are Express, Standard and Enterprise.

• However, which version of ArcGIS Desktop are you working with?
  • What version of SQL Server Native Client\ODBC Driver have you installed? (Share the link if possible)
0 Kudos
New Contributor

I'm working with ArcGIS Desktop 10.5, about Native client I installed v2012 (Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Native Client - QFE from Official Microsoft Download Center ) 

Thanks for your help Asrujit

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor
New Contributor

It has not worked, it still gives the same error. I can generate a temporary user for you to verify yourselves, for now it is impossible to connect to SQL Server

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

I believe contacting Esri Tech Support for a quick clarification maybe a better option.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Ok, I will contact them

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

As the system requirement page mentions:

Note:

**The Microsoft ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server is only supported by ArcGIS 10.5.x and 10.4.1 clients. For connections from ArcGIS 10.4 clients, the Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 must be used.

So, try the ODBC Driver 13 (64-Bit) in the link that Joshua provided and let us know if that helps.