data lost from non-versioned oracle table

09-19-2012 05:04 AM
AndyBridle
New Contributor
Hi I'm looking for some advice on how to investigate an issue.
I have a Table in an Oracle 10.2 datadabase that is registered with ArcSDE9.2 as non-versioned to present a read-only layer to ArcMap users.

The system has been running for several years without problems but I've noticed two occurances in the last few weeks of rows going missing from this table.
As the table is not editable through ArcMap I figured it had to be user with direct access through an Oracle connection.
In an attempt to track down who was responsible I tried running the following sql against Oracle
select * from v$sql where SQL_TEXT like 'DELETE FROM MYSCHEMA.MYTABLE%';

it returned one result:
a gsrvr process has submitted the SQL
DELETE FROM MYSCHEMA.MYTABLE WHERE OBJECTID IN (select t.column_value from table (CAST (:numtab as SDE.sdenumtab)) t)

any ideas what ArcSDE is attempting to do here and why it is trying to modify a non-versioned table?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AlanEpp
New Contributor II
hi, did you ever find out what happened to your table?  I have a VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL situation, where the last couple of days the following command has (seemingly at random) run on a non-versioned table:

DELETE FROM MYSCHEMA.MYTABLE WHERE OBJECTID IN (select t.column_value from table (CAST (:numtab as SDE.sdenumtab)) t)

I have no idea how this is happening, but it's very troubling.  Any insight you have will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Al
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Al, what version of ArcGIS and ArcSDE are you running? If also still 9.2, it is highly recommended to upgrade A.S.A.P. ESRI will even stop supporting 9.3.1 SP2 in the near future, so any potentially necessary - intermediate step - upgrade path via 9.3.1 to 10.x will become even more difficult soon, as you won't be able to request regular support from ESRI even for 9.3.1 when it will be retired at the end of this year.

See the Product Life Cycle PDF:
http://downloads.esri.com/support/product%20life%20cycle/server_gis/ArcGISServer_PLC.pdf

This really sounds like an issue to take up with ESRI Tech support if you are on a supported platform...
0 Kudos