Select to view content in your preferred language

Data Interoperability Extension - KML Extended Data

09-16-2010 04:29 PM
PatLandrum
New Contributor III
I have a KML that's being updated every few minutes and posted to a URL.  The KML includes ExtendedData, which contains Changeable Message Sign (CMS) information (travel times, alerts, etc.).  I can connect using the Data Interoperability extension through ArcCatalog (10), add the KML to an MXD and publish to a map service, and add to a FlexViewer app.

The ExtendedData elements are the issue - they're not included.  I've also been unsuccessful in converting/tranferring the ExtendedData using the Data Interoperability (FME) Workbench.  I can visualize the input KML and all needed attributes, but I've been unable to get them over into a feature class.

Anyone running into similar problems?  I've also tried all (that I know of) KML to shape translators  - no problem converting the points - but the ExtendedData isn't coming over.

URL for a sample of the CMS  http://www.dot.ca.gov/research/its/kml/cms/cmsD11.kml

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Reply
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Pat

In your workbench, make sure to expose additional attributes for extended data.
The parameters dialog for the KML reader has a control "Additional Attributes to Expose" which brings up the dialog in my first screengrab.

Then in your workbech, expose and explode the list attribute - you'll get name and value attributes.
You'll have to do more work to pivot the exploded features back into a single part per kml_id.

Regards
0 Kudos