Select to view content in your preferred language

Data Frame shifts when I toggle between Data View and Layout View

Jump to solution
04-02-2013 01:06 PM
AdamCarrico
New Contributor II
Hello,

I am obviously new to GIS. I have a question regarding the layout view. I have a map created with quite a bit of data. I have a layout size of 11x17 and a certain scale in layout view (1:42,500 for this particular map).

I have several text boxes that I have added in layout view. At times, when I switch to Data View to complete some edits and return to Layout view to export the map, the data frame has changed scales and shifted. Even when I make the data frame a fixed scale, the scale stays the same when I toggle back and forth, but the drawing shifts and the text that I inserted in Layout view no longer lines up with what it is supposed to.

I have to manually shift that back and line everything up.

Is there a way to lock the data frame completely in layout view so that when I go into Data View, it will still be all set up when I return to Layout view to export the map?

Thanks much for your assistance,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Adam,

I think you may benefit from using Bookmarks.

Best,
Melanie S.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimBarnes
Because data view is tied to screen scale/resolution and layout view is tied to printed paper scale/resolution, you'll always get small shifts.

There are actually two methods of adding text boxes in layout view- In 'paper' coordinates and in 'geographic' coordinates.

Adding them as paper coordinates (as it appears you've done) is as simple as just adding a text box- This will remain fixed relative to the layout so if you move the map/dataframe, these boxes will now be out of place in terms of any underlying GIS data (i.e. this mode is used for adding items like scale bars, north arrows etc which you want fixed to the same place on the page)

Adding them as geographic coordinates will mean they move with the map (similar to annotation) and are tied to geographic locations. This is used for adding ad-hoc labels etc to your map data- To add these elements, in layout view, double click the dataframe to activate/enter it (the border will now have a diagonal hatch), then add the text box etc. Click out of the dataframe to exit this mode.
Hope that helps (if so, please mark as the answer :))
0 Kudos
AdamCarrico
New Contributor II
Because data view is tied to screen scale/resolution and layout view is tied to printed paper scale/resolution, you'll always get small shifts.

There are actually two methods of adding text boxes in layout view- In 'paper' coordinates and in 'geographic' coordinates.

Adding them as paper coordinates (as it appears you've done) is as simple as just adding a text box- This will remain fixed relative to the layout so if you move the map/dataframe, these boxes will now be out of place in terms of any underlying GIS data (i.e. this mode is used for adding items like scale bars, north arrows etc which you want fixed to the same place on the page)

Adding them as geographic coordinates will mean they move with the map (similar to annotation) and are tied to geographic locations. This is used for adding ad-hoc labels etc to your map data- To add these elements, in layout view, double click the dataframe to activate/enter it (the border will now have a diagonal hatch), then add the text box etc. Click out of the dataframe to exit this mode.
Hope that helps (if so, please mark as the answer :))

Thanks Timmo. That text answer will help. Being and engineer and more familiar with CAD, maybe I didn't state my question or problem properly in GIS terms.

My issue is that I have a saved map the way I want it and let's say it looks and works well at a scale of 1:50,000 (in Layout View). Let's say I have all my text added as geographic coordinates tied to geographic locations in the map so when the data frame shifts, the text shifts too.

What I'm wondering is that it seems so inefficient to have to re-scale and re-shift your data frame in Layout View back to the 1:50,000 and pan it to where it was previously when this shifts after going into Data View.

I know I can lock the scale to the 1:50,000, but my problem then is that when in Data View, I can't zoom in.

Is this just an inefficient quality of ArcGIS, or am I missing something?

Thanks again
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hi Adam,

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
AdamCarrico
New Contributor II
Hi Adam,

Best,
Melanie S.

Melanie S.

You are a life saver. Gosh, I had a 3 day GIS course and we learned about bookmarks, but that feature slipped my mind.

That is exactly what I needed. You don't even know how much you just improved my day!

Melanie, I hope you have a super day!

Thanks again!

Adam C
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Hi Adam,

Glad I could help, have a great rest of your day!
0 Kudos