Select to view content in your preferred language

Ctrl+L, Ctrl+G doesn't work for drawing line features

05-26-2011 11:17 AM
AmyGeorge
Emerging Contributor
I am in an edit session and when I press ctrl+l (which worked fine in ArcGIS9.3) nothing happens.  I can enter the line length by right clicking after creating a vertex, however.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RhondaGlennon
Deactivated User
Most of the construction "constraints" such as length or direction require you to have at least one vertex first so ArcMap knows the location from which to start measuring. There are only a few constraints, such as Absolute X,Y (F6), that will work without placing a vertex first. If you create a vertex, then will Ctrl+L or Ctrl+G work for you?

Another thing to check is to make sure the map has the keyboard "focus" when you press the shortcuts. Sometimes when you are working with the Create Features window, table of contents, or other toolbars, the keyboard shortcuts will operate on those other user interface elements because they have taken the "focus" away from the map. Click the map or press the Esc key to put the keyboard focus back on the map.
0 Kudos
AmyGeorge
Emerging Contributor
Rhonda, thanks - yes, I am trying Ctrl+L after creating a vertex.  And yes, the keyboard is focused on the ArcMap window.  I have been editing in 9.x for five years, it's just now with the new version that the commands no longer cause anything to happen.
0 Kudos
RhondaGlennon
Deactivated User
From your screenshot, all the shortcut text is missing from the context menu entry (for example, Length... should have Ctrl+L next to it), so there may be something conflicting that caused the shortcuts to be deleted. Are there keyboard shortcuts listed when you right-click with other editing tools, such as the Edit tool, and do they work?

You can try resetting the shortcuts by going to the Customize menu > Customize Mode, click the Commands tab, and click the Keyboard button at the bottom. Go to the Editor category, click a command like Length, and see if there is currently a keyboard shortcut assigned.

Do you have any add-ins, code, scripts, or other applications installed? Otherwise, try renaming the normal.mxt, uninstalling any scripts, or possibly running a repair on ArcGIS.
0 Kudos
AmyGeorge
Emerging Contributor
Thanks - the keyboard shortcuts were blank.  I'm entering them and will see if it sticks.
0 Kudos