Creating views in SDE 10.3

Jump to solution
12-19-2014 06:03 AM
KenCarrier
Occasional Contributor III

How are views managed in 10.3? At 10.2.2 creating a view inside SDE acted like a query layer. By this I mean when adding the view to ArcGIS Desktop you would be required to specify a unique ID field and a spatial extent. On the other hand when creating a view via SDE command line the view would get registered with sde and the user would not have to specify anything when adding that layer to ArcGIS Desktop. This is one function from sde command line which had better performance and usability than creating the views through ArcGIS Desktop. How has this changed in 10.3?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ken,

It appears Views are managed the same way in 10.3 as they were in 10.2.2.  For any enhancements, I would recommend posting them on ESRI's Ideas page.

View solution in original post

25 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Ken,

It appears Views are managed the same way in 10.3 as they were in 10.2.2.  For any enhancements, I would recommend posting them on ESRI's Ideas page.

KenCarrier

I did post this a while back and it seems somewhat popular, not really understanding how Esri Geodata team could take away this functionality without providing a suitable replacement? Asking users to pick a unique id field and a spatial extent when they are not power users seems sort of counter productive in my opinion. Thank you for the prompt reply but I would really like to see Esri provide a tool to accomplish the same level of functionality that the sde create view command line provided us.

http://ideas.arcgis.com/apex/ideaSearchResults?s=Create+Views+In+ArcCatalog+Like+In+SDE+Command+Line...

RandyKreuziger

At the ESRI conference the ESRI staff at the Enterprise island said that they planed to have all functionality of the command line tools  recreated in the GUI. I heard this twice.  I guess I'm surprised.  Also, I thing the ideas site has become a joke.  It's just a feel good mechanism.

I've spent over a month coding workarounds for the bugs they introducted in 10.1 and those bugs still aren't fixed in 10.3.  The most serious bug involving SQL native Geometry is 21 months old, has been assigned a severity of "medium" yet they can't say when it will be fixed.  We only moved to the SQL Server Geometry type because of another but introduced in 10.1.

I miss the workstation days when a new versions contained new functionality and very few bugs!

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Agreed.  The words keep coming out of their mouths, but actual progress has been painfully slow.  Now they have released 10.3 and formally retired SDE command line tools, all while still missing quite a bit of functionality that used to exist.  It is not uncommon to find SDE-related bugs, especially relating to views, where Esri's Support documentation says to use SDE command line tools as the workaround.  I think the Development teams are putting the screws to their own Support staff as much as they are customers with this one.

KenCarrier

Jake,

sorry gave the wrong link, try this one and let me know if you agree or not please?

http://ideas.arcgis.com/apex/ideaSearchResults?s=Create+Views+In+ArcCatalog+Like+In+SDE+Command+Line...

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, I agree.  You make valid points.  I went ahead and promoted this idea.

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

promoted this idea as well

0 Kudos
Greene_Chris
New Contributor II

Have you heard anything back from esri about this? We just moved to 10.3 from 9.3(SDE)/10.2(desktop) and I'm rebuilding a bunch of models. What used to work with views are now crashing out due to a lack of OIDs. Apparently, even though there is the OID from a feature class participating in the view, this lack of registering with the geodatabase is making my views unusable in my models. I guess my only option is create copies of these views to use in the models? Which...contradicts the whole point of using views.

And thanks for creating the Ideas post. Hopefully someone out there in development is listening!

0 Kudos
KenCarrier

Ok so here is the unofficial workaround. I reached out to someone I know at Esri for a workaround and here is what we both tested and found to work. I will tell you this probably will not be supported by Esri Support but it works.

Use 10.2.2 SDE command line to create your views in 10.3 SDE so they become registered with the sde user and geodatabase.

The views will look and function in 10.3 just as they did in 10.2.x and prior releases.

I have posted this enhancement on the ideas portal and got a work space granted for it but no one from Esri seems to be listening or responding from the geodata team.

I would think you could still use other versions of the sde command line to create the views in 10.3 but I would not go back beyond 10.1 in my opinion. If you are upgrading to 10.3 use the last known version of sde command line in my opinion, which would be 10.2.2.

Hope this helps and I will keep trying to pursue this with Esri. If I get no response I hope they do not mind getting some tough questions during the presentations at the Esri UC 2015 because they will be coming I am sure.