Select to view content in your preferred language

Creating a mosaic dataset containing imagery from multiple dates

02-09-2012 12:24 PM
MichaelFashoway
Occasional Contributor
I have NAIP imagery data from two different dates, 2009 and 2011. Right now they are two separate mosaic datasets. I would like create a third master mosaic dataset based on the two so the imagery can be time enabled and served with a single image service. I followed the directions for the workflow (below) but I didn't do the steps for using the web map for the overview because I'd like the master mosaic to use the most recent NAIP overviews. I added the two individual mosaics and I see the footprints but I don't see any overviews nor can I see the actual NAIP .tif tiles themselves (when I zoom in).

Is there a different workflow for doing what I want, or did I just do something wrong?

Creating a mosaic dataset containing raster data from multiple dates:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Creating_a_mosaic_dataset_containing_r...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jonathangamble
Regular Contributor
Did you build overviews for the original two mosaic datasets?  If not, try building the overviews first, then creating your derived mosaic dataset.

I followed the steps outlined in this blog post and had great success.
0 Kudos
MichaelFashoway
Occasional Contributor
I did have overviews built for both datasets. Esri pointed me to a different workflow (the same outlined in the blog post you referenced) which worked (when viewing the mosaic dataset).
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Imagery_management_patterns_and_recomm...

However, I haven't been able to successfully view the data as an Image Service. I was able to create the service just fine, but when I try to view it only grey images are returned (and only at scales of 1:20,000 or larger). Seems like it might be something on our end but I'm not sure.
0 Kudos
MichaelFashoway
Occasional Contributor
After getting some help from someone at Esri, I was able to get this to work. The solution was to not use the referenced mosaic dataset at all (Step 3 in the workflow and blog post above) and for Step 2 add the source mosaic datasets to the new mosaic dataset as the default "Raster Dataset" (NOT the "Table" raster type suggested). I didn't have to create new Overviews, it used the overviews from the source mosaics.
0 Kudos