Creating a locator that supports both ranged addresses and addresses w/ house number suffix

Jump to solution
07-27-2021 08:03 AM
LeonS
by
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I'm struggling to configure a locator that will work with address point data that has both ranged addresses and some that have house number suffix.  The following are all existing formats that I would like to have my locator return results for:

• 15 Mechanic St
  • 15A Mechanic St
  • 70 1/2 Main St
  • 100-108 Main St

I also have support for subaddress information, but I'm not sure if that is relevant to my issue.

I'm referring to the help for Pro, when I'm configuring my locator (https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/introduction-to-locator-roles.htm).   It isn't clear to me from the documentation how I might support both ranged addresses and those with a house number suffix.

For the point address role of my locator, I have set it up with  "House Number From" and "House Number To" fields that are required to support ranged addresses.  According to the documentation, points with house number suffixes need to have the suffix and number concatenated into a single house number field and that needs to be used in your point address role configuration.  However, as I found out through Esri support, you cannot use both a single house number field and the "House Number From"/"House Number To" fields in your point address role configuration.  

So I how do I get a locator to return both the ranged addresses and those with an address number suffix?   I can't have two point address roles in a single locator.  (Tried it)  Do I need to create a second locator for just those points?  Just wondering if someone has found a way to make this work. 

Thank you,

Leon

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tim_McGinnes

If you have a look at the PointAddress section on this page: Primary locator roles , it says:

If there are some features that have house number ranges, you must model all features with ranges. The features that do not have house number ranges must use the same value for the house number From and To fields.

Putting the same house number in the From and To fields works in my locator. For house number prefixes and suffixes you need to concatenate everything into a single field. There is a good example table on that same page with different prefixes\suffixes. 

So you would have:

House_Number_FromHouse_Number_ToStreetStreet_Type
1515MechanicSt
15A15AMechanicSt
70 1/270 1/2MainSt
100108MainSt

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

The data will need to be edited to create an address point for each unique point.

For example, 911 systems are working towards this design for address points and road center lines.

https://www.nena.org/page/NG911GISDataModel

0 Kudos
LeonS
by

We still have some cases where the best information available to us is the range of addresses in a building.  We don't necessarily know where the entrance for each unique address number lies.  Until we do, I'm looking to support these ranged addresses in my locator.

0 Kudos
Tim_McGinnes

If you have a look at the PointAddress section on this page: Primary locator roles , it says:

If there are some features that have house number ranges, you must model all features with ranges. The features that do not have house number ranges must use the same value for the house number From and To fields.

Putting the same house number in the From and To fields works in my locator. For house number prefixes and suffixes you need to concatenate everything into a single field. There is a good example table on that same page with different prefixes\suffixes. 

So you would have:

House_Number_FromHouse_Number_ToStreetStreet_Type
1515MechanicSt
15A15AMechanicSt
70 1/270 1/2MainSt
100108MainSt
LeonS
by

So my "From" and "To" fields don't need to be numeric.  That's what I was getting hung up on.  I'll give this a try.  Thanks!

0 Kudos