Select to view content in your preferred language

Create Single House Locator Fails or Crashes ArcCatalog

07-19-2011 12:42 PM
AprilNunn
New Contributor
I have been trying for hours to create a Single House locator using our point address feature class in ArcSDE (or in a folder - neither works). I do not get any usable error information, sometimes ArcCatalog crashes and others the 'background process' fails. I have tried right-clicking the connection and selecting New, Address Locator. I have tried using the Create Locator tool in ArcToolbox, a model and ultimately a Python script which also crashes. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

I was able to create a Dual Range locator using our centerline feature class.

Any help appreciated,

April Nunn
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
AimeiChen
Occasional Contributor
No, just SP1. I cannot install SP2 ArcSDE on the server as it is not yet supported by Azteca Cityworks. If I install SP2 on my desktop and try to create the locator in the database which locator styles/rules will be used - from the server or my desktop? And will it matter?

When I try to create the locator now (after re-installing) I get ERROR 000042 : Failed to create the address locator (ArcGIS 10 Help). I know I have permission, enough disk space and valid connection so it must come down to the locator style or the geocoding rule files. Any ideas?

April

Hi, April
I am currently having same problem as you had. Did you get it work now? If so, would you please share your thoughts with me?

Thanks,
AC
0 Kudos
AprilNunn
New Contributor
Sorry, no good news to report. I created a second database, upgraded it to SP2 (as suggested here in a previous post) but that didn't work either. I read in another thread that the problem is having null values in the feature class columns used in the locator. But my experience is that it's not just null but empty strings that may be involved. ESRI is apparently aware of the bug but it isn't a high priority. Too bad - does anyone have all the directional attributes populated in their addresses?

My workaround was to copy an existing locator from a 9.3.1 database to my v.10 database and rebuild it with the feature class there. It works, but if I try to make changes to it it breaks. And if I use it in a composite locator it works, unless i change or rebuild it.

See this thread as well - http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/30234-ArcMap-crashes-when-geocoding-after-SP2-install

If you figure out anything different please post.

Thanks,

April
0 Kudos
JavadSalimi
New Contributor III

Hi all,

As per the following post, try outputting to a local drive then copying/pasting to sde:

https://community.esri.com/thread/130111

(see steven_3535's comment)

I was having the same issue and it worked for me.

Cheers,

Javad

0 Kudos