Create points at specified distances along a line

06-20-2012 11:36 AM
ShanaLowe
New Contributor II
I need to generate a point layer that represents distances along a line feature.  I have the starting point features and the line that is to be traversed in GIS.  I am looking for an automated way to take my spreadsheet of distances and generating point features.  Anyone have any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I need to generate a point layer that represents distances along a line feature.  I have the starting point features and the line that is to be traversed in GIS.  I am looking for an automated way to take my spreadsheet of distances and generating point features.  Anyone have any ideas?

Use the Create Route Features under the Linear Referencing toolset to make a Route with M values based on the length of the line.  This line will need a Route ID value, which can be based on a field in your line feature class.  The spreadsheet can now act as a Route Event Table as long as each record in your spreadsheet has the Route ID value listed and the distance of the record along the line (which you seem to have).
0 Kudos
HaakonJørlo_Haugerud
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am having a similar question, but related to ArcGIS Pro. In Pro the Create Route Features is not available. Anyone who knows a way to do this in ArcGIS Pro?

Br,

Haakon Haugerud

0 Kudos