Create new Layer out of Selection?

05-28-2013 12:23 AM
FW
by
New Contributor
Hi,
it might be a stupid question but how do i create a new layer out of selected features in Arcmap? I have drawn some polylines in edit mode while a new created empty layer was active and i thought those lines would automatically be drawn into that layer. Well, they aren´t and i now can´t copy the features into that layer either. So now i have some polylines in my project which don´t belong to any layer. So i hoped there might be a tool that lets me create a layer out of the features i´ve selected in Arcmap.

Hope i could outline my problem.

Thanks for your help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Why cannot you simply copy them from the wrong layer to the correct layer and then delete them from the wrong layer.

You can select the features that are in the wrong layer and right click on the feature in the table of contents and export that feature as a new feature and then delete them from the wrong layer.

Hi,
it might be a stupid question but how do i create a new layer out of selected features in Arcmap? I have drawn some polylines in edit mode while a new created empty layer was active and i thought those lines would automatically be drawn into that layer. Well, they aren´t and i now can´t copy the features into that layer either. So now i have some polylines in my project which don´t belong to any layer. So i hoped there might be a tool that lets me create a layer out of the features i´ve selected in Arcmap.

Hope i could outline my problem.

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
FW
by
New Contributor
well, i guess that´s my problem. the polygon or polyline which i´ve drawn doesn´t appear in the table of contents because it seems to be in no layer. so when i do this: click on feature - crtl+c - click on layer i want to paste to - crtl+v, nothing happens.

by the way, i use arcgis 10.0 sp2.

how can you draw in a layer from the beginning anyway without having to copy the feature into it afterwards? just by selecting it before starting to draw doesn´t seem to work...

i´m sry, i´m working with that programm for not so long, so thanks for your answers.
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
Hello,

You determine which layer you are editing in a couple of ways.

1. You can only edit one workspace at a time so if some of your data is in a geodatabase and some shapefiles, you wouldn't be able to edit both in the same edit session
2. When your data is in the same edit session you need to select the correct feature template to make sure you are creating the features you want to.

I would suggest starting your edit sessions by right clicking the layer you want to edit > Edit Features > Start Editing...

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
ScottMoyer
Occasional Contributor
If you created the lines with a tool in the Drawing toolbar, where there is a pulldown for various shapes, only graphics were created. Can you select the lines with the solid arrow in either the data or layout view? If so, these lines are not a part of a layer. If you created your lines with say the Sketch Tool (looks like a pencil) you can disregard my comments here.
Scott
0 Kudos