Create a rectangle cell Raster

03-10-2010 07:00 PM
WentaoChe
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

I need to create a rectangle cell raster in geographic coordinate system, such as a cell in size of 0.0000022 x 0.0000018 degree, that is about 20cm x 20cm on ground.

I can create this kind of raster using the ArcMAP Mosaic Raster Catalog menu from a Raster Catalog in a file geodatabase. It seems that you can not create an Unmanaged raster catalog from a raster that is already existed in a file geodatabase, I tried several times, all failed. For this reason, I need to create a Managed Raster Catalog, this means I need to duplicate the raster that are already projected to geographic coordinate system, when this raster is big, it takes a long time to do so.

Resample Tool can not create a rectangle cell raster now, I hope it works in the next release.

Best regards,

Wentao
KKC, Tokyo, Japan
0 Kudos
1 Reply
WentaoChe
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

Mosaic Dataset is the answer for my last post. It is just as the HELP says "It is a data model within the geodatabase that is a hybrid of a raster catalog and raster dataset". The Hybrid is the key word. You can not project a Raster catalog but can project a Mosaic Dataset without mosaicing, that is a wonderful idea and save a lot of time! Good job!

The terrain data model is the best for the Lidar and Mosaic Dataset is the best for the Rasters. It is always nice to learn those new things from ESRI.

Here is the steps:
create a Mosaic Dataset, load all the ortho tifs, poroject it to geographic coordinate system, then load it to ArcMAP and export it by setting a rectangle cell size by 2.2e-006, 1.8e-006, that is all, no any extra process.
But I do not know why you can not enter 0.0000022 directly to the Cell Size (cx, cy) box, it is automatically converted to 2.22e-005, this is not good, hope it can be fixed soon.

Best regards,

Wentao
KKC, Tokyo, Japan
0 Kudos