Counting Feature Classes within a File Geodatabase?

09-07-2011 01:06 PM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
I have been looking for the last 3 hours for something that I thought would be simple functionality within ArcCatalog: A simple count of feature classes within a File Geodatabase.  I have looked in documentation, the forums, and simply Googled it....  Nothing!

Would anyone have a pointer, or just hit me over the head with a simple "you forgot to check this box in your Options..."?

Thanks much!
--Adam
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You can select all of the feature classes under the Contents tab within ArcCatalog and it will give you a count at the lower left of all the feature classes selected.  However, this will not include feature classes within feature datasets.  To get a count of both you may need to result to a python script.  I've attached one here that you can use.  Browse to the toolbox in the Catalog window, double-click the script within the Toolbox, and then browse to the File Geodatabase.  The script will report how many feature classes exist within the geodatabase.
0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III
Thank you SO much!

--Adam
0 Kudos
MelissaFeigel
New Contributor
You can select all of the feature classes under the Contents tab within ArcCatalog and it will give you a count at the lower left of all the feature classes selected.  However, this will not include feature classes within feature datasets.  To get a count of both you may need to result to a python script.  I've attached one here that you can use.  Browse to the toolbox in the Catalog window, double-click the script within the Toolbox, and then browse to the File Geodatabase.  The script will report how many feature classes exist within the geodatabase.

Hi.. I know this is an old post, but do you still have the python script that will count the features within the database and does it work in 10.1?  I have a lot of very large db's that I need to get feature counts on, the best way possible.  Thank you.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Melissa,

Attached is the script and toolbox.  Yes, this will work with 10.1.
0 Kudos