Select to view content in your preferred language

Copying edits from one layer to another

06-08-2011 06:47 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
We have two similar layers for our basic road network.   One being Road Blocks, the other being Roads(basic).   This data was pulled together before I came to work here and the best I can tell, the Road Blocks layer gives the address ranges and the Roads(basic) layer is strictly Road names.   When I need to edit either of these layers for corrections and whatnot, it gets to be a pain to do the edit twice.   Is there a way to edit one of the layers, then having Arcmap copy the edit to the other layer?

Thanks!

Jamie
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Deactivated User
Jamie,

not sure what differentiates your "layers" but I assume they are different polyline Feature Classes (or shapefiles).

If you are doing purely spatial editing, i.e. moving vertices, I'd suggest using "map topology" which will allow you to select common vertices from both and move them together.

Otherwise, perhaps do a spatial join and get rid of one of the Feature Classes and create 2 display layers to symbolize/label the polyline with road name and address ranges. 
Perhaps then turn the roads into routes (Linear Referencing > Create Routes) and make the block address ranges numbers into route events (from-to).

Hardolph
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hardolph,

Yes, two different polyline feature classes.  The problem with selecting common vertices is that whoever, or whatever, drew the lines really went out of their way to draw them as stupid as they could.   So, there are MANY vertices that aren't needed.  Like, instead of drawing one straight line, they wen't up and down the line 2 or 3 times placing random anchors.  So, it's just easier to reshape each line out of each feature class.  I was hoping for a way to reshape and get the line where I want it on one feature class, then just have the other "follow" the edit that was just done.  

I'll give the other way a shot.  I'm an idiot, so I'm not completely sure I can accomplish what you said.
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hardolph,

Yes, two different polyline feature classes.  The problem with selecting common vertices is that whoever, or whatever, drew the lines really went out of their way to draw them as stupid as they could.   So, there are MANY vertices that aren't needed.  Like, instead of drawing one straight line, they wen't up and down the line 2 or 3 times placing random anchors.  So, it's just easier to reshape each line out of each feature class.  I was hoping for a way to reshape and get the line where I want it on one feature class, then just have the other "follow" the edit that was just done.  

I'll give the other way a shot.  I'm an idiot, so I'm not completely sure I can accomplish what you said.

First off, I'd say the guy who digitized the roads in the first place is the idiot; at the very least you know it's junk and you're trying to get it fixed!

My suggestion is to concentrate your efforts on one feature class or the other.  You'll need to figure out which one you can get cleaned up the fastest, with respect to geometry.  Once that is completed you can use the spatial adjustment tool bar to transfer attributes/geometry to the offending lines. 

I did a similar exercise for a set of county roads where the old TIGER data had great attributes but lousy geometry; the current feature of roads had great geometry but lousy attributes.  Using the spatial adjustment tool bar, I transferred to attribute values from the TIGER data to the good geometry and never looked back...

Hope this helps-
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the repy, fellas.   Digging into this now.   Hopefully will have it figured out soon.
0 Kudos