Coordinates Project

11-08-2012 06:16 AM
MatthewSchueler
New Contributor
Hello,

I have a large list (over 6,000) of points in which some of the lat/long fields are blank, and some are in State Plane that need to be converted to lat/long.

I am trying to determine the best and most efficient workflow to complete this project. Any input or ideas would be greatly helpful. I am trying to compile a list of all the resources I have at my disposal, the best one will most likely be a dataviewer which will provide aerial photos of each point.

Thanks in advance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hello,

I have a large list (over 6,000) of points in which some of the lat/long fields are blank, and some are in State Plane that need to be converted to lat/long.

I am trying to determine the best and most efficient workflow to complete this project. Any input or ideas would be greatly helpful. I am trying to compile a list of all the resources I have at my disposal, the best one will most likely be a dataviewer which will provide aerial photos of each point.

Thanks in advance!

I typically stay away from terms like best and most effecient. But that said...

Back up your orginal file.

If you have no xy coordinate data for some, that is no lat long and no State plane, toss them.  No need to worry about them unless your Harry Potter wand is working. (Did I mention to back up your original file?)

Split out those that have state plane coordinates into thier own table.  Add these to an ArcMap session as an XY event.  Save them as a point feature class.  In that new point feature class, add two fields as double: Latitude and Logitude.  Use the calculate geometry function to calc the X and Y values of the point in the flavor of latitude/longitude of your liking. (You have a back up copy of the original file right?)

Merge those records back into the list of just Lat Long populated data.

Hope this works.

If it dosen't, you still have the backed up copy of the original file....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos