Coordinates out of bounds

06-27-2013 06:48 AM
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
Hello,

I'm working with a geodatabase that was not georeferenced correctly. All feature classes are in the NH state plane coordinate system. I want to simple move all features to where they belong (in New Hampshire of course!) and when I try, I always get the error 'coordinates are out of bounds' which is ridiculous considering the data is being moved to within the coordinate system's bounds!

The only way I know how to correct this is to convert all geodatabase feature classes to shapefiles, move the data to where it belongs, then re-import the shapefiles back into the geodatabase. Since this GDB has over 20 feature classes, this would take way too much time.

Is there a way to override the obviously faulty 'out of bounds' error? I really wish the whole thing would be totally abolished, why should it matter where the data is -regardless of the coordinate system? Worse - I KNOW THE DATA IS WITHIN THE CORRECT BOUNDS!!!!
please help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
What data storage do you have?  Are the feature classes high precision?  The whole coordinate system boundaries was more relevant in 32bit storage systems.  All coordinates are converted from decimal floats to integers internally to integers with a conversion factor.   So the maximum precision of your data is a function of the size of the coordinate domain (the bounds of your database.)  In the olden days of 32 bits, a coordinate domain of the entire world would only give you hald a meter precision.

With high precision feature classes this is no longer a problem, but coordinate systems have the boundaries of the projection system and still have constraints.  for example, an unprojected geographic coordinate system (latitude, longitude) still has a -90. 90 and -180, 180 coordinate bounds because, a latitude more that 90 or a longiture less than -180 are impossible.

If exporting to shapefiles and reimporting works, there is probably something wrong with your coordinate system or your storage precision.
0 Kudos
JamesHarrington
New Contributor III
I'm using arcgis 10.1 on a 64 bis system, problem persists with personal/file geodatabases. Your explanation doesn't explain why - when attempting to move objects within the limits of the coordinate system - the 'out of bounds' error is given!
Why oh why does this problem simply not exist when working with shapefiles?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
I've always gathered from training that each geodatabase has two things: (1) a coordinate system defined, and (2) a limited "extent" (N-S,E-W box that defined its "world"). When a geodatabase is initially set up, the coordinate system has to be correct and consideration has to be given to make sure the extent is big enough to contain the work you plan to do. So if your initial setup was too small, you will run into problems when you try to work outside of that extent.

To fix this, you can create a new geodatabase and make sure the first data you put into it has the right coordinate system and the extent you need to cover the area you will work on. Then move all your data over to it. Of course, I could be mistaken, but then I rarely have this problem. Most of my work is in a county and I typically bring in a county-wide layer when I first work on a project.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
if you are moving withing the xy domain of the featureclass or dataset (not geodatabase as they may have data in different coordinate systems with different spatial domains) and you are getting this error it could be a bug or it could be your map is in a different coordinate system than your data...  What is the XY domain of your featureclass or featuredataset (from the domain tab in the properties)  and what are the coodinates you have and where are you trying to move them to?
0 Kudos