Coordinate question

Jump to solution
03-29-2019 06:51 AM
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

I have some data in Michigan State Plane NAD83 in International feet. Does anyone know if this is accounted for when adding this data set to a map in Michigan State Plane 83 in USfeet?

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, when we unproject/project data, we look at the actual unit that are listed in the coordinate system definition. The false easting/false northing values must be in the same unit so if you compare the int'l ft and US survey ft definitions, you should see slightly different numbers.

Melita

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If they do have a different code EPSG code, I presume they would project on the fly

Spatial Reference List -- Spatial Reference 

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

That is my quandary. The FIPS code is the same, but the units are different. Does arcgis recognize feet_int versus USfeet and account for it?

The data that I have produced and the data that someone else has produced do not align, so I am fishing for the reason.

Regards, Jim

Jim Cousins

GIS Project Scientist

S.S. Papadopulos & Associates, Inc.<http://www.sspa.com/>

7944 Wisconsin Avenue | Bethesda, Maryland 20814

Direct: (301) 500-2271 | Office: (301) 718-8900

jcousins@sspa.com<mailto:jcousins@sspa.com>

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL: This email and any attachments are intended only for the addressee(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, privileged, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure or use by a third party. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and its attachments, and destroy any electronic or hard copies that you may have created.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Isn't the FIPS code a county code (Canadian here, so bear with me).

I was more interested in what the actual coordinate system was for each file.  If they were defined the same but differ in placement, then the units and/or datum (nad whatever) would account for the shift). 

Check via properties

0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, when we unproject/project data, we look at the actual unit that are listed in the coordinate system definition. The false easting/false northing values must be in the same unit so if you compare the int'l ft and US survey ft definitions, you should see slightly different numbers.

Melita

0 Kudos
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you Melita, this answers my question.

Best Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos