Converting geoJson to shapefile

07-24-2014 04:35 PM
JoshuaWiebe
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to ArcGIS, and even newer to Python, or Java. I'm trying to convert a geojson file to a more usable format (.shp, .lyr; anything ArcMap can read), but I have absolutely no idea how to do it.

I have found an incredible file that I'm using for a university project, and I'd love to use it - can someone help me? The file is titled "pipelineroute.geojson" and it's located here -> geodatabc/NorthernGatewayPipeline · GitHub

Using (or attempting to use) Ogre (Ogre - ogr2ogr web client‌) has made my head spin........

Is there anyone who can helpp me convert (or convert the file for me?) Thank you so much in advance

Tags (2)
16 Replies
CaitRiggs
New Contributor II

Found this in the help files installed within the Data Intero. > Quick Import tool at file:///C:/Program Files (x86)/Esri/Data Interoperability (x86)/help/data_interop/FME_Workbench/Work...

Each different FME edition differs only in the formats available. Only the FME Desktop Base Edition has a different (more limited) set of functionality. 

So it looks like to me, those formats were intentionally left out if you have more basic license of ArcGIS.

CaitRiggs
New Contributor II

I did find a project on github that does the trick for Google's Location data ("Takeout" in JSON format)

GitHub - Scarygami/location-history-json-converter: Convert the Location History JSON File from Goog... 

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1
Occasional Contributor III

Is there any way to batch convert JSON files?  I have a folder with 20+ JSON files that I need to convert into one shapefile.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are a lot of suggestions in this thread, did you try any of them?  Converting 20 files isn't that much manually, unless you will be converting 20 files over and over as part of a weekly or daily process.  Are you comfortable scripting or are you looking for a single tool to do it all for yo?

0 Kudos
DavidForbuss1

Hi Joshua,

I'm actually using this: GitHub - tannerjt/AGStoShapefile: Convert ArcGIS Server Dynamic Map Service to Shapefile, EsriJSON, ... .  The "bigdata" branch outputs multiple geojson/json files.  I ended up using the merge function in QGIS to convert them into a usable shapefile.  I wish I could just load GeoJSON and/or JSON files into ArcMap/PRO without having to convert them (maybe there is a way that I don't know about?).

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If Esri JSON is an option, which is seems like it is, then JSON To Features—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  is about as close as you are going to get.

I understand and agree with your frustration.  Esri's desktop clients (Pro and ArcMap) are focused around working with Esri's geodatabase model (including Esri's shape file) and Esri's REST API or Esri JSON, and more the former than the latter.  It would take a fair amount of work, or maybe not, for Esri to support natively working with GeoJSON in their desktop clients.  That said, I find the current "support" to be fairly weak.  For example, why does Features to JSON support exporting GeoJSON but JSON to Features doesn't support importing GeoJSON?  It isn't like cryptography and one-way functions, the GeoJSON protocol is just as easy to work in either direction.

At the end of the day, if Esri continues to set the bar low for their support of certain open standards like GeoJSON, it will continue to create an opportunity and reason for people to explore other tools like QGIS. 

DavidWasserman

While I agree the best approach is to actually do this task in QGIS (same for KML import export), I have had some success getting a Gist to work with at least point features. If anyone has any thoughts for improvements, let me know. 

This gist is intended to share a sample worker function to write Geojson to an ArcGIS Feature Class ... 

David Wasserman, AICP