Converting CAD data - add value to northing

07-30-2014 03:32 PM
EricJohnson
New Contributor III

We have some as builts in the DWG format. I open them in Autodesk DWG TrueView and use the 'Locate Point' tool to get the XY values for a point.

Then I go to ArcMap, create my point using and input those XY values. The catch is, the Y value needs 10,000,000 added to it. When I do that, the point lines up perfectly to what I have on the aerial or have GPS'd.I have a feeling that if I can just shift that data up by 10,000,000ft, it is going to line up well and save me a lot of time.

Their data uses the HARN state plane, we use the standard state plane for our area.

When I reproject after using the CAD to geodatabase tool, I can't find any option to add 10,000,000 to the northing.

Any ideas?

-Dan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not designed for CAD I presume, try with a shapefile copy

Shifting features | ArcPy Café

ArcGIS tools add-ons and extensions from ET SpatialTechniques

Or ETGeowizards has a free Move Shapes option (His disclaimer...ET GeoWizards is not a free program. However it has many functions that are free - can be    used with the unregistered version with no limitations. )

EricJohnson
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Dan, I was wondering if scripting was an option.

I was able to solve my problem using the Georeferencing toolbar. I dropped in 2 arbitrary points. Modified the XY, keeping the X the same, and adding the 10 million to the Y. Everything lines up perfectly. I can even reuse the same world file for other projects.

Why the original CAD user used the 'as built' layer for every polyline in the document is beyond me.

0 Kudos