converting addresses to XY

Jump to solution
07-18-2014 07:19 AM
ELTerrell
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am trying to teach myself point density map making.  However, I have a little over 600,000 addresses in our county I would need to convert from excel to XY coordinates.  I haven't been able to find a way to convert to XY and then back to excel in a very manageable way.  Can anyone help me?  Please & thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StevenGraf1
Occasional Contributor III

Hmm, the only other thing I can think of is if you have access to your MSAG (master street address guide) then you could join your MSAG to your roads layer based on the street name.  The MSAG has low and high address ranges.  This would at least allow you to geocode your points but wouldn't tell you what side of the road they are on.

This would only work if your MSAG and roads layer street names are 100% the same.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Maybe the first part of this will help?

0 Kudos
kellenober
New Contributor II

The problem is that you have so many addresses to geocode... so at at about $.10 a credit you're looking to pay thousands for geocoding through ESRI.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

Do you have access to a roads layer with address ranges so you can create your own locator?

Otherwise as already stated, ArcGIS Online geocoder costs.

You can use other free geocoders such as Google or Bing but they limit your daily input.  I think Google allows for 2,500 a day.

If you need more information on creating your own locator, there is plenty of information out there on that: ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
ELTerrell
New Contributor III

I do have all the roads however, no address ranges.

0 Kudos
StevenGraf1

Hmm, the only other thing I can think of is if you have access to your MSAG (master street address guide) then you could join your MSAG to your roads layer based on the street name.  The MSAG has low and high address ranges.  This would at least allow you to geocode your points but wouldn't tell you what side of the road they are on.

This would only work if your MSAG and roads layer street names are 100% the same.

ELTerrell
New Contributor III

Ok.  I'll try and get in touch with our GIS dept and see if they have the roads with address ranges.

0 Kudos
Mapperzmap
New Contributor III

Yahoo will still allow 2000 geocodes per day with their placemaker api

Free Non-Commercial YQL Table Usage - YDN

0 Kudos