converting 32 bit to 8 bit in python

08-15-2011 12:27 PM
WadeGivens
New Contributor II
Trying to put together a python script for converting my 5-band, 32 bit unsigned to image to a 3-band, 8 bit unsigned image. I'm doing this in conjunction with calculating an NDVI for each image as well. I start by converting the geo-tif to a ESRI GRID. The next part is what is breaking down for me (highlighted in dark red). I take the 3 raster bands (ESRI GRIDS) that I want to composite and convert them to 8 bit tif files. I then composite them in the order I want into a single. The problem that I am having is that each CopyRaster_management routine I run to convert the bands to 8 bit tif's produces a 8 bit file with all the pixels having the same value. I checked the GRID files and they are correct. Problem is happening in the coversion to 8 bit. NDVI routine runs fine as it continues to work fro the GRID files. Anybody see something that I'm missing?

import arcpy
import os
from arcpy import sa
from arcpy.sa import *
arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

arcpy.CheckOutExtension("spatial")

inDIR = "C:/GIS_Projects/5_band/clipped"
bitDIR = "C:/GIS_Projects//images/bit_8"
ndviDIR = "C:/GIS_Projects/images/ndvi"
tmpDIR = "C:/Temp/grids"

arcpy.env.workspace = inDIR

rasters = arcpy.ListRasters("*", "TIF")

for raster in rasters:
print raster
fltname = raster[:-9]
rname = raster[:-9] + ".tif"
ndviname = raster[:-9] + "_ndvi.tif"
temp = "temp"

arcpy.CopyRaster_management(raster, os.path.join(tmpDIR,temp), "", "", "", "NONE", "NONE", "32_BIT_UNSIGNED")

print "Converting " + rname + " to 8 Bit Image"
arcpy.env.workspace = tmpDIR
arcpy.CopyRaster_management("tempc5", "band5.tif", "", "", "", "NONE", "ColormapToRGB", "8_BIT_UNSIGNED")
arcpy.CopyRaster_management("tempc3", "band3.tif", "", "", "", "NONE", "ColormapToRGB", "8_BIT_UNSIGNED")
arcpy.CopyRaster_management("tempc2", "band2.tif", "", "", "", "NONE", "ColormapToRGB", "8_BIT_UNSIGNED")
arcpy.CompositeBands_management("band5.tif;band3.tif;band2.tif", os.path.join(bitDIR,rname))

print "Converting " + rname + " to float"
arcpy.RasterToFloat_conversion(os.path.join(tmpDIR,temp + "c3"), os.path.join(tmpDIR, fltname + "_c3.flt"))
arcpy.RasterToFloat_conversion(os.path.join(tmpDIR,temp + "c5"), os.path.join(tmpDIR, fltname + "_c5.flt"))

arcpy.CopyRaster_management(os.path.join(tmpDIR, fltname + "_c5.flt"), os.path.join(tmpDIR, \
"nir.tif"), "", "", "", "NONE", "NONE", "32_BIT_FLOAT")

arcpy.CopyRaster_management(os.path.join(tmpDIR, fltname + "_c3.flt"), os.path.join(tmpDIR, \
"red.tif"), "", "", "", "NONE", "NONE", "32_BIT_FLOAT")

print "Calculating NDVI for " + rname

divide = arcpy.sa.Divide(arcpy.sa.Minus(tmpDIR + "/" + "nir.tif", \
tmpDIR + "/" + "red.tif"), arcpy.sa.Plus(tmpDIR + "/" + "nir.tif", tmpDIR + "/" + "red.tif"))

divide.save(os.path.join(ndviDIR, ndviname))

0 Kudos
0 Replies