Convert an image to a GRID

01-29-2013 11:32 AM
VandaJuhasz1
New Contributor
Hi All,

I am new in GIS and I have a simple question but I coulnd't find the answer.

Why we need to convert an image to a GRID?

Thank you so much: Vanda
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Hi,

Your question is not very clear. Do you want to know how to convert your image to a polygon grid or do you want to convert one raster format to a GRID raster format.

Thanks,
Gayathri A.
0 Kudos
VandaJuhasz1
New Contributor
HI,

No, I am not doing such things like that yet, my question was WHY we need to convert images to a GRID, why it is necessary, maybe because ArcGIS can work better if the image in GRID or because what?
It is just a general very basic question but to me to understand more this whole ArcGIS I need to know why I am doing what is in my homework.

Thank again, Vanda
0 Kudos
GayathriAlallasundaram
New Contributor III
Hi,

I am not sure what is the current format of your image? In general you could convert your image to any other supported format like IMG, TIFF, etc other than an Esri grid. Here is a list of the supported raster formats. Also here is a link about Esri Gird format.

Thanks,
Gayathri A.
0 Kudos
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
Hi Vanda,

Your best resource is your instructor. One possibility is that older versions of the Spatial Analyst supported GRIDs only, although I think you could pass in different imagery types, the output was always in GRID format. But that's no longer true as of version 10.0. Even at 9.3, it would automatically convert various input raster formats. Maybe the homework hasn't been completely updated?

Melita
0 Kudos