Conversion TIFF 16 bit to 8 bit

05-25-2010 05:00 AM
robertocaldonazzi
New Contributor
I have a raster TIFF 3 Band Pixel Depht 16 bit. I want to know if there is any tool that will allow me to cerate a new raster TIFF  o Jpeg  with Pixel Depht 8 bit
5 Replies
jimparsons
New Contributor III
The copy raster tool let's you alter the bit depth. You'll need to choose which band you want, or do some clever processing from all three bands.

The easiest way to isolate a single band is just to open one band from the add data dialog. Double click on the raster in the open data box and it'll take you down one level further to the three bands. Just choose the one you want. Then use copy raster, which you'll find the in toolbox if you have it in index view.
PatrickMueller
New Contributor
I have a raster TIFF 3 Band Pixel Depht 16 bit. I want to know if there is any tool that will allow me to cerate a new raster TIFF  o Jpeg  with Pixel Depht 8 bit

I think this is the anser to your Question:

Export Data and make sure you tick "force RGB"...
works great.
The key to creating / converting remote sensing imagery (e.g. LandSat, NAIP) for ArcPad is broken into two parts.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/7981-.img-files-and-ArcPad.-what-to-convert-to
Part 1: Use ArcMap.

This is because ArcMap understands satellite imagery and can do the statistical band stretching needed to render your images properly. Non-ArcMap products, if they're not targetting the remote sensing field, are not likely going to handle the images the same way; they generally ignore the statistics and produce a poorer image, or even, a black image.

Part 2: Data Export with Use Renderer and Force RGB.

By asking ArcMap to render your 16-bit images into 8-bit RGB images, ArcMap will band do the statistical band stretch for you and produce an image that any non-ArcMap application can open because the hard work was done for you. The result is great for ArcPad because the new image is automatically half the size (because 8-bits uses half the space compared to 16-bit data) of the original without compression which is great news for mobile (i.e. more speed, less memory). In additional, you can choose additional compression, but I wouldn't given that storage memory is cheap these days.

So, what are the steps you need to do?

1. Load your .img data in ArcMap
2. Right click on your .img file in the ArcMap table of contents and select Data > Export Data
3. Ensure Use Renderer is checked
4. Ensure Force RGB is checked
5. Choose any output Format (I prefer TIFF)
6. Choose any Compression Type (I prefer NONE)
7. Click Save
8. Verify the results in ArcPad
NathanFleischman
New Contributor III

There is one problem. I lose data that way.

javadeam
New Contributor
its works
thank you

Javade
GIS techmician,
MariamKhayyat
New Contributor III

Hi Roberto,

I want to ask if you have got the raster TIFF from the original source in 3-band pixel depth 16-bit, or did you make any conversions to have 3-band pixel size 16-bit?

In other words: I want to make sure if it is possible to have a raster TIFF 3-band pixel depth 16-bit, or there is a static relation between 3-band pixel depth 8-bit, and 4-band pixel depth 16-bit??!

Thanks in advanced,

Mariam