Select to view content in your preferred language

compress sde database

Jump to solution
04-09-2013 04:58 AM
TAMARADIEZ
New Contributor III
Hi eveyone,

I am new administering arsde. Our system is ArcSDE 9.3.1 with SQL Server 2005.  I started to work around 6 months ago and there is none in my team who knows about GIS. From the SDE_compress_log table I've found out the compress has not been ran for over 6 months. I was talking to our DBA and he mentioned about compressing the database in SQL. I am really confused about compressing the database. When our DBA mentioned he has compressed the database in SQL, is it the same as compressing the database through ArcCatalog?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
14 Replies
TAMARADIEZ
New Contributor III
Hi Thanks. Now I understand much better. I ran the script and sum all the records for the A and D tables.
A = 9969
D = 5299.

Is the above really bad? Or is it okay? I have heard the database could break if the compress is not ran. Could it happen

The feature class which has the largest number of A and Delete records is the ID =1511 with 6562 Adds and 2498 Deletes.

Regards,

T
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
I suppose it depends on your definition of "break" -- the software is operating
according to design, and there's no reason to think it will stop working, but you
have edits that haven't made their way into the base tables.

- V
0 Kudos
TAMARADIEZ
New Contributor III
Hi Thanks again.
I was told by an ESRI person if | did not compress the database it could break so I was concerned about the database will stop working. Some users are complaining about editing their feature classes being very slow. It is because I haven't move their edits to the base. Correct?

Thanks again.

T
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Let me put it this way:  Failure to regularly compress a versioned geodatabase is not likely
to result in improved performance.  Causality is difficult to predict, but best practice isn't.

- V
0 Kudos
TAMARADIEZ
New Contributor III
Hi, Thanks for all your help.

Regards,

T
0 Kudos