Select to view content in your preferred language

clipping a raster out of another raster ("doughnut" result) - using image analysis?

05-06-2013 11:38 AM
EmmaYoung
Emerging Contributor
(cross-posted with Imagery and Raster Data)

Hi everyone-

I apologize for the fairly simple problem, but I've read several threads on the matter and even watched some videos, and I'm still not able to get what I want. What I'm trying to do is clip OUT a smaller raster from a larger one, leaving a hole where the smaller raster previously overlaid (leaving a "doughnut" shape, if you will). The only techniques I can find in ArcGIS 10 clip or mask the extent of the LARGER raster to the SMALLER one, so that I get the exact opposite result that I'm going for. I know there must be a fairly simple answer out there, but I'm getting really frustrated. I've read that the image analysis toolbar can be used, but I haven't been able to get it to work. Any help on this matter would be EXTREMELY appreciated, thanks.

Emma
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TrishRice
Deactivated User
I was about to suggest clipping it to a donut polygon as suggested here but can't get it to maintain the donut.  However if you have Spatial Analyst you could turn the donut polygon into a raster with zero values wherever you want the image removed and one values for what to keep.  Then use Raster Calculator to multiply the original raster with the clip raster.

A brute force method if nothing else works is to chop up your larger image into small pieces that go around your smaller image, then mosaic them back together.
0 Kudos
BrentTombs
Emerging Contributor
Extract by mask always works for me.
0 Kudos