cant find scratch.gdb

08-02-2017 03:20 PM
AllenMasomere
New Contributor

Working on assignment that requires me to set up a scratch.gdb. Cannot find this gdb file on the zip file provided. New to GIS and lost. Tried to set up scratch workspace from Geo-processing menu without success. Second time around asking the same question.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Allen...

ArcMap? ArcGIS Pro?

Zip provided a *.gdb or not?

Was a project included?  If so, don't do anything until you explore the projects properties and references to it.

A few more details would go a long way

0 Kudos
AllenMasomere
New Contributor

Thanks, Dan. I am working on a class project in ARCMAP and the instructions say I should be able to 'find' my scratch.gdb. This is the very first time I am encountering the concept of a scratch.gdb in this class so it's not as if I have had to previously set it up and it's now lost. My assumption is that it should be on the zip file but there is results.gdb and source.gdb on the file, NOT scratch.gdb. In the previous lesson, I had to find my source.gdb and it was on the zip file. See instructions below:1.7

"Find your scratch geodatabase. ArcGIS will open a geodatabase picker (notice the Show of type option at the bottom). If you've been strictly following this lab, then it's going to try showing you the contents of the source geodatabase since we used that recently. Instead, navigate up one folder to your data folder (recall the up one folder arrow if you don't know how). 1. Click on your scratch geodatabase (scratch.gdb). Don't double click to open it though - just a single click. 2. Then click Add. 3. Click OK out of the Map Document Properties dialog (not shown). ArcGIS will now put working products in that scratch geodatabase where we can find them later.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Allen... If the scratch.gdb isn't in the folder that it is in, then use ArcCatalog to create one in the required location... that is about all you can do if it isn't there

AllenMasomere
New Contributor

Thanks again Dan. I am entirely unfamiliar with arc catalogue so I would not know where to start. Anyway, thanks to all that tried to help. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Check the help Create File Geodatabase describes options

AllenMasomere
New Contributor

Thanks Dan. That worked!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad it worked out... Assumed answered is now true

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm wondering whether the tutorial workflow is totally correct to make a scratch.gdb.... A scratch geodatabase 'scratch.gdb' is often created for you automatically by models and tools that reference it, though you can create one yourself using the Create File GDB tool (as Dan suggested) and it will be used if found where ArcGIS expects it based on the current workspace settings.

Scratch GDB (Environment setting)—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Duplicate post of https://community.esri.com/thread/199003-cant-find-scratchgdb 

jayanta.poddar‌ has provided answer to your questions in the other post, so please revert back there letting everyone know if that helped or not.

Refrain from asking the same question again in a separate post. That does not help.