Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot generate raster from .ADF file

09-06-2012 08:26 AM
KevinClarke
Emerging Contributor
I am trying to bring in DEMs and similar rasters that are in .ADF format.

When I try to bring it in, I get the "Invalid Raster Dataset. Failed to Create Raster Layer" pop up.

In catalogue, I cannot preview the layer. This is the case on multiple machines.

I dont know if there is something messed up with the ADF format or what the story is. I have tried bringing it in from a test location without a .aux in the file structure as well, which did not help.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor
It sounds like they're in the GRID format. If you're selecting at the .adf level, you're down too far. See

Esri Grid format

I think there should be an "info" folder also. If that's missing that could be what's causing the problem.
0 Kudos
KevinClarke
Emerging Contributor
There is an info folder and a dem folder. The file in catalogue appears above both of these (the folders do not show up in the catalogue, i believe they are part of what catalogue is reading to show the raster?)

I know the grid should be in 30 meter pixels, with values associated, but I am still unsure why they are not able to be displayed.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
La_ShayeErvin
New Contributor
I am having the same issue and i was wondering if you found a solution and what that solution was.
0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18466[/ATTACH]

The GRID will look as the screenshot shows.  To display it you have to add what is basically the folder in ArcMap/ArcCatalog.  In Windows Explorer it looks like a folder and the other hidden folders are exposed.  If you have something other than this then it seems as if you are missing data.
0 Kudos
AimeeWeldon
New Contributor
Hi, I am having the same problem. I've tried all the different tricks (deleting .aux file, ensuring info folder is there, etc) but I still cannot display this raster. I run Arc9.3 on my machine and my colleague, who runs 10 on his is able to open it so I know I am not missing data. I assume there is some issue with Arc9 not being able to read the file? Is there a way to convert it so it is recognizable in 9?
0 Kudos