Cannot Edit Data after fixing a File Geodatabase Turned Folder

06-10-2019 11:36 AM
JessicaGoodsell1
New Contributor

Over the weekend my IT department migrated everything from one server onto another. When I came in this morning I noticed that in the process, a few of my File Geodatabases had become folders and I couldn't see the feature classes and datasets in ArcMap (currently working with Desktop 10.6). I found the workaround of copy/paste the gdb and timestamps file from a working file geodatabase into the folder in Windows Explorer. This fixed that issue and I was now able to see my data. 

However, I also need to edit those features and when attempting to start an edit session I receive the error saying that I cannot edit that geodatabase and to ensure that I have the appropriate permissions. I checked and I do. I'm not doing versioning/enterprise so this wasn't a matter going into the Advanced options in Editor. I'm guessing this may be an issue where the file geodatabase itself is missing something related to read/write permissions or editing. All other file geodatabases that were there after the migration are working fine with editing permitted.

Has anyone else encountered this and know of a fix?

Cheers.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Did you copy from Windows Explorer or ArcCatalog?

0 Kudos