Cannot delete locator in a file geodatabase

Jump to solution
05-06-2016 09:21 AM
DanielWebb2
New Contributor III

I'm trying to rebuild and/or delete a locator in a file geodatabase but am getting weird errors.  When attempting to delete it says, "Failed to delete selected object(s) A locator with this name does not exist."  When attempting to rebuild it says, "Can't rebuild address locator A locator with this name does not exist."  But the icon still shows up in ArcCatalog.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

This is very weird, it might be corruption.

To change the subject, locator storage in a database (even file) is not recommended, just store them on (preferably SSD) disk.

Bruce

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

This is very weird, it might be corruption.

To change the subject, locator storage in a database (even file) is not recommended, just store them on (preferably SSD) disk.

Bruce

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

If you absolutely have to get rid of it, try exporting the data within the geodatabase you wish to keep to another geodatabase and and then delete the geodatabase with the problem locator.  You may need to delete the fgdb as a directory via winodws explorer.

At any rate, I'm with Bruce Harold  on this one; don't store your locators as database objects.  In fact I'm pretty sure it was Bruce who suggested the same thing to me several years ago when I had an issue with one.  I thought it very convenient to keep matching data, results and locators all in the same fgdb. And it is, until something goes rogue...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanielWebb2
New Contributor III

Thanks to both Bruce and Joe.  I’m pretty sure it was a corrupt databsase so I deleted and created a new one from backups.

Also, thank you for the suggestion to store locators separately.  I moved them and am creating new services and so far they seem to work well.

0 Kudos