Can't edit attributes of SDE feature class with joined table

03-07-2012 01:49 PM
davidhiggins
New Contributor II
After I join an SDE feature class to another table in the same SDE, I can create features but can't edit any attributes in the feature class (all greyed out in attribute window). As soon as i release the join everything back to normal. ArcSDE Version 9.3 ArcSDE Server Build for Oracle10g Build 546 Thu Sep 18 12:35:50  2008, Arcgis 10.0 SP2 desktop and ArcInfo level licence. Is this a bug? or is there a setting I can't find??
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
JulianaWilhoit
New Contributor III
Hi Dave,
  Does this issue happen if you export your SDE tables to a file or personal geodatabase?  If you have the same issue using local GDBs then the issue is ArcMap related. If, however, the issue is not reproducible then it is most likely related to a setting on your SDE. 

Best,

Juliana
0 Kudos
davidhiggins
New Contributor II
No, if I try the same thing with a file gdb then I can edit attributes in the feature class but not those in the joined table (which is what I would expect) - not being an SDE administrator could you guide me to what sort of setting might need to be modified - in saying this this SDE has been running unchanged for at least 2 years and on 9.3 desktop/SDE i did not notice this behaviour, maybe I can test this if I can find a 9.3 desktop here still
0 Kudos
davidhiggins
New Contributor II
[ATTACH=CONFIG]12685[/ATTACH]

Hopefully this image will highlight the problem, when editing with a join in desktop10/sde9.3 I can edit attributes within the table view but NOT in the attribute window?? I checked in desktop 9.3/sde 9.3 and the difference appears to be the attribute window only shows the attributes in the feature class (not the joined attributes like in desktop 10). Is there a setting somewhere I can't find it??
cheers dave
0 Kudos
JimDickerson
New Contributor II
David,
I have the same problem.  Did you ever find a solution?
Jim Dickerson
0 Kudos
GelcysWilliams
New Contributor III
We just came across this issue as well.  We are on 10.0 SP4.  SDE in SQL.

Join 2 feature classes that you could edit before, once joined, Field Calculator is grayed out and despite being able to start an edit session, when you type in a field, we can't edit.

If I export the info from one of the feature classes as a table, and join that to the first feature class, I can edit and use field calculator. 

Not sure when this went away, but the help says I should still be able to edit the originating feature class fields in the table, just not the joined feature class fields.

Help!
0 Kudos
StevenEmbree
New Contributor II
Check to see if all layers within ArcMap are registered as versioned. If some are not registered as versioned, when you start editing, you are only able to edit the versioned feature classes or the unversioned feature classes. You cannot edit both types at the same time. This may be why you are unable to utilize the Field Calculator. If this is the case, the following steps may resolve the issue:

1. Save & Stop editing.
2. Click on Editor/Options...
3. Click on the Versioning tab.
4. The check box next to "Edit a version of the database with the ability to undo and redo." will be checked or unchecked. Switch this selection.
5. Start editing.
6. Check your Field Calculator option once again.
davidhiggins
New Contributor II
In response to checking whether my feature classes are versioned, yes the feature class I am editing is versioned, but no the join table is not versioned (it is an SDE table constantly updated on the fly from an oracle database). And I still can't edit the attributes in my feature class in the attribute box (greyed out) but can edit them in the table view.
0 Kudos
TimLangner
Occasional Contributor III
This is a really useful thread as I hit the same problem. Is their any more help documentation or resources explaining this in more detail? Such as why this needs to be the case.

Actually I tired the above suggestion and it didn't work. Now I am joining a versioned feature class with archiving enabled to a CSV file but I couldn't see anything on the help screen when doing the join which said this was not supported and it allowed the join to go through.

However when I go to edit, it goes through the process but I can't actually edit since everything is greyed out.

I will try putting the CSV file on the SDE and see what happens. I am using 10.0.4. I can't use SP 5 because it had unrelated issues.

UPDATE: I've now noticed that when I switch off the versioning I get the error incorrect edit version type when I go to edit and it lists all the layers for which this is the case.

However I am still able to proceed further, even when I right click on the layer for which this message appears. This in my opinion seems to be flaw. As I clearly stated to ArcMap which layer I wish to edit and once I start editing, I have no way of amending the versioning tab settings to allow me to edit. My only solution appears to be to stop editing. Which is why I think a cannot edit layer and proceed further error message would be better as that is for the times when editing of a layer is not allowed.

Do a search on the forums for incorrect edit version type only brought up my posting and a search using Google, only brought up three web pages of which the following had more detail on the warning:
http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/38414

As I have now versioned both the feature class and attribute table, both now being held in the SDE, I can switch versioning back on and this problem will not occur.

Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
The original problem (all fields being non-editable) in a join was fixed in 10.0 SP3. I just tried it in 10.0 SP4 and it works as expected, the selected feature fields are editable, the joined fields are not. If you're seeing anything different, contact tech support.

You cant edit joined fields by design. We'll revisit this design in a future release.

The behavior of the editor with versioned and non-versioned data is a separate issue.
By default, ArcMap edit sessions are set to perform versioned edits. With this setting, you can only edit data that has been registered as versioned. To learn how to set up an edit session to allow nonversioned edits, see Configuring an ArcMap edit session to perform nonversioned edits.
0 Kudos