Can't delete feature dataset

10-28-2019 04:48 PM
EllenSaxon
New Contributor III

I'm using ArcGIS 10.7.1 basic license on windows 10. 

I have built a gdb with several feature datasets populated with feature classes. I have not had any issues until now.

I created a new feature dataset today then > import feature class (multiple). Only 5 of the 19 feature classes i attempted to bring in were successfully imported. There was no error. I then ran > import feature class (multiple) resulting with the FC that came in earlier were moved to the root gdb and several (not all) of the other layers I was importing ended up in the root gdb. I then deleted all stray FC from the root gdb and deleted the feature dataset so I could start from scratch. The FD went returned when the gdb was resfreshed.

I rebooted the PC and attempted to delete the FD to no avail. No Arc processes running in task manager. multiple unsuccessful attempts to delete the FD.

Any ideas as to how I can resolve this?

EDIT: Just rebooted and created a new FD. I tried to export feature class (multiple) and received the warning for every FC "Failed to convert: <filepath>. Failed to execute (CopyFeatures)". All the FC tables were copied to the root gdb

EDIT: my organisation is moving our data to a local NAS, i think the issue is coming from this as a copy of the data on my PC is behaving normally 

EDIT: switching off background processing seems to have resolved the issue

3 Replies
GarrettSeay1
New Contributor III

Are you trying to delete it while ArcMap or ArcPro are up or just Catalog? Are you using the Delete tool?

Delete—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
EllenSaxon
New Contributor III

I was trying to delete it from Arc Catalogue. I tried the delete tool with the same results

GarrettSeay1
New Contributor III

Are you able to copy the data?

0 Kudos