Can't create relationship rules without subtypes

05-31-2012 02:21 PM
JoannaMerson
New Contributor
I am trying to define minimum cardinality relationship rules for a relationship class between a point feature layer and a feature table. The origin/destination cardinality boxes are greyed out unless I create subtypes (see attached). However, I don't want subtypes.

The documentation leads me to believe this is possible:
[INDENT]4. If your origin class has subtypes, click the subtype to which you want to associate a relationship rule. If the origin class has no subtypes, the relationship rule will apply to all features.
5. If the destination class has subtypes, check the subtype that you want to relate to the selected subtype in the origin class. If the destination class has no subtypes, the relationship rule will apply to all features. [/INDENT]

I am using ArcGIS 10.1 PreRelease
Is this possible? Is it a 10.1 problem?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JosephRathvon
Occasional Contributor
Did you ever get this working.  I am having the same problem and cant get it to work.
thanks
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, this is permissible and possible.  Your screenshot of the Rules tab looks incorrect though; the origin and destination table or feature class should be listed in the dialogs on the left hand side.  This would allow you to select/check them so that you can define cardinality.

How were these feature classes created?

Can you attach a zipped up personal or file geodatabase with the feature classes so we can take a look?
0 Kudos