Can not connect to SDE when restored from backup

Jump to solution
09-24-2015 12:24 AM
wentinghan
New Contributor II

Hi, All:

We are tring to restore a sde on db2 from a backup, We use the flowing command to do the restore:

db2--> restore db SDEDB from /db2/sde5 taken at 20150919163011……

The restore was successful, we check the table number, index number, they are the same as the old database. Here are the software we are using:

Database: DB2 9.7.2
   Operating System: AIX 6.1
   SDE: 10.0
   ArcGIS Desktop: 10.0 SP5

When I try to make a direct connection to DB2  from ArcCatlog, it gave me an error message states:

“This release of the GeoDatagbase is either invalid or out of date. DBMS table not found [SDEDB.SDE.GDB_Release]”;

It is quite strange that “SDE.GDB_Release” is not exist in the source gdb either, but my ArcCatlog works fine with the source DB2.

Then I try to check out the privileges of the sde user, so I grant the flowing privileges to the SDE, although it may already have these privileges:

CONNECT to database;
CREATETAB in database;
CREATEIN, ALTERIN, and DROPIN for the necessary schema;
EXECUTE on MON_GET_CONNECTION;

CONTROL on database objects, SELECT on SYSIBM.SYSDUMMY1
SELECT on SYSCAT.ROLEAUTH, SYSCAT.DBAUTH, and SYSCAT.TABAUTH

DBADM authority
SYSCTRL or SYSADM authority
EXECUTE on MON_GET_CONNECTION

Unfortunately, the error remains, I still can NOT make a direct connection to the new DB2.

I already search the google, most of the documents point out it is compatibility between the geodatabase and the ArcGIS Desktop, but we have a 10.0 gdb and 10.0 sp5 desktop.

Any help is appreciate, we are quite desperate, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JamieLeitch1
New Contributor III

Actually, on a test enterprise geodatabase I was able to essentially "find and replace" any occurrence of the old database name with the new database name, and I can now connect to this new database using ArcGIS Desktop.  I haven't done extensive testing, but I am able to edit feature classes, and publish services to Server.  If my testing continues to be successful, I will be able to create a SQL Server Agent to perform the backup, restore, and alterations to tables and stored procedures and run on a schedule.

I created a SQL stored procedure that showed me all of the objects in the database that contained a record with the old database name in it.  I could then run queries to update these tables with the new database name, and also alter the stored procedures with the new database name.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Interesting to see it worked, but would not recommend it. There may be other references in the GDB to the "old" name for certain functions.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
JamieLeitch1
New Contributor III

This is true.  However, I've searched/replaced the definitions of every trigger, stored procedure, and function, and the records of every table to find occurrences of the old name.  This is not to say that it won't fail in the future as configuration changes are made to the original gdb.  Further testing and time will tell...

0 Kudos