Can not connect to SDE when restored from backup

5730
12
Jump to solution
09-24-2015 12:24 AM
wentinghan
New Contributor II

Hi, All:

    We are tring to restore a sde on db2 from a backup, We use the flowing command to do the restore:

 

    db2--> restore db SDEDB from /db2/sde5 taken at 20150919163011……



    The restore was successful, we check the table number, index number, they are the same as the old database. Here are the software we are using:

   Database: DB2 9.7.2
   Operating System: AIX 6.1
   SDE: 10.0
   ArcGIS Desktop: 10.0 SP5

  

   When I try to make a direct connection to DB2  from ArcCatlog, it gave me an error message states:

“This release of the GeoDatagbase is either invalid or out of date. DBMS table not found [SDEDB.SDE.GDB_Release]”;

It is quite strange that “SDE.GDB_Release” is not exist in the source gdb either, but my ArcCatlog works fine with the source DB2.

   Then I try to check out the privileges of the sde user, so I grant the flowing privileges to the SDE, although it may already have these privileges:

CONNECT to database;
CREATETAB in database;
CREATEIN, ALTERIN, and DROPIN for the necessary schema;
EXECUTE on MON_GET_CONNECTION;



CONTROL on database objects, SELECT on SYSIBM.SYSDUMMY1
SELECT on SYSCAT.ROLEAUTH, SYSCAT.DBAUTH, and SYSCAT.TABAUTH

DBADM authority
SYSCTRL or SYSADM authority
EXECUTE on MON_GET_CONNECTION



Unfortunately, the error remains, I still can NOT make a direct connection to the new DB2.

I already search the google, most of the documents point out it is compatibility between the geodatabase and the ArcGIS Desktop, but we have a 10.0 gdb and 10.0 sp5 desktop.

Any help is appreciate, we are quite desperate, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Wenting,

Did you happen to rename the database during the restore (i.e. was called "database" and is now "databasenew")?

It looks like that might have been the case with the first DB2 command in the post.

ArcGIS Desktop

-George

GeodatabaseEnterprise GIS

--- George T.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Wenting,

Did you happen to rename the database during the restore (i.e. was called "database" and is now "databasenew")?

It looks like that might have been the case with the first DB2 command in the post.

ArcGIS Desktop

-George

GeodatabaseEnterprise GIS

--- George T.
wentinghan
New Contributor II

Hi, George:

      Yes, I did that. I have changed the database name. Is this a possible reason for that error?

      I will try to restore the db with the same name to see if it will work, will post the result here, thank you very much.

0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Wenting,

I think that is the reason for the error. When the database is created there are some tables/triggers/procedures that get hard coded in the geodatabase. If the name changes, then these items break.

I think that if you restore the DB2 database to the new server with the same name, you should be able to connect after that.

-George

--- George T.
wentinghan
New Contributor II

Hi, George:

     Thank you very much for your explaination.

     I need several hours to restore the database again, I will post the result here so it can help others.

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check  out Vince's instruction for move an SDE to a new server,  pretty straightforward steps.

Re: Migrate from OLD SDE Server to New One

0 Kudos
wentinghan
New Contributor II

     Thanks, Rebecca.

     The URL you provided talks about ArcSDE On SQL Server. The process is a little different from DB2.

0 Kudos
wentinghan
New Contributor II

Hi,George:

     We use the same database name when we do the restore, It succeed!

     Thank you very much for your advice, help this post will help others.

JamieLeitch1
New Contributor III

I've encountered this same error when trying to connect to an enterprise geodatabase in SQL Server 2017 that had been restored from a backup and renamed using SQL Management Studio.  The problem is that there are several tables and stored procedures that contain the name of the original database that the backup was made from.  To connect to this new renamed restored database, you need to update these tables and stored procedures with the new database name.

Check these tables:

GDB_ITEMS

SDE_column_registry

SDE_geometry_columns

SDE_layers

SDE_process_information

SDE_table_registry

And these stored procedures:

create_version

delete_version

edit_version

You should see the name of the original database within those objects.  Best test what happens in a test db first if you do the find/replace.

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Jamie Leitch‌ you are correct, for SQL Server you cannot rename the DB when restoring. Here is some documentation that may be useful; Methods to move a geodatabase in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop    Geodatabase

No matter which of the methods you use to move your SQL Server database, you cannot rename the database. When you restore a database, for example, you are given the opportunity to restore it with a different name. Don't do this with a geodatabase; you won't be able to connect to it.

--- George T.
0 Kudos