Calculator of polygon directions

07-11-2019 07:11 PM
MRC
by
New Contributor III

Hello everyone, 

i have a problem, pls help me solve...

i have two shaple files : 1. line - the streets

2. polygon- the polygon of the parcel of land

then i want to calculator of the dicrections of the polygon following the street line, the result i expert is list of the table show : N- if the direction of the polygon is north, W -if the direction of polygon is west , NW - north - west , S is it south and ....

i have attached two file shp for you references ... pls help me 

Sorry for my bad english,

thank you...

if you aren't understand my problem just tell me explain more....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
MRC
by
New Contributor III

if you use the near tool to calculator,The result is that there will be many cases that are wrong,in my opinion i think it isn't possible.. i tried. ..

0 Kudos
MRC
by
New Contributor III

Could you help me solve this? thank you

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As a starting point, which might just be good enough since you aren't looking for the 100% process, use Minimum Bounding Geometry—Help | ArcGIS Desktop with RECTANGLE_BY_WIDTH, and include the  MBG geometry fields.

RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I agree with Joshua that the Minimum Bounding Geometry tool may be a good starting point for analyzing your parcels, since you could compare the area of the parcel to the area of the minimum bounding geometry to separate parcels that are basically rectangular from parcels that are not.  Most likely it will be much easier to develop a process that can be successfully validated for parcels that are rectangular than for parcels that are more complex.  Separating parcels into different classes like rectangular and non-rectangular is critical to being able to build up a multi-tiered automated process that might ultimately be capable of handling the majority of parcels correctly.

MRC
by
New Contributor III

Could you show me your direction to do it?

I tried but the results are still not very accurate ...

Thank for your help @Joshua

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

perhaps if you show your results, it would assist in assessing what, if any, isn't good.  

It may be the case that you have a problem that has no simple solution, or one with several solutions depending on certain conditions.

Problems are not always solved with simple solutions, this may be an 'abstraction' type problem and your model as to what you expect to happen isn't well supported by your data

MRC
by
New Contributor III

Thank for your help Dan Patterson‌ , i have attached two shp files which have the results for your request...

The above results are mostly true with 90% accuracy.

Could you give me an advise?

Based on the old results, my calculation is

- Create point of land plot

- Use near tool and Calculate the angle from the point just created to the road 

- Use python code to switch from angle to direction ....

0 Kudos
MRC
by
New Contributor III

My file is attached above with the name question_new_24-07-2019

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am confused.  In an earlier response, you state:

If you use the near tool to calculator,The result is that there will be many cases that are wrong,in my opinion

Now, you state:

The above results are mostly true with 90% accuracy

So which is it, is your workflow generating 90% accurate results or does it have "many" cases that are wrong? 

You have a logically simple, yet technically complex, problem.  You will quickly reach a point of diminishing returns where trying to automate the last X% (maybe 10%, maybe 5%) will take substantially longer than automating the first 80-90%.  One way or another, getting answers for the complete data set will take time and effort.

MRC
by
New Contributor III

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

The data I just uploaded is the data that I manually made in the picture below and there is no use of any tool

They are for you to compare results according to your way

"""So which is it, is your workflow generating 90% accurate results or does it have "many" cases that are wrong? ""

My results are still accurate but it will be wrong in the case of road corners and complicated land plots

So i want to find out the best way to calculator exactly the result (about 90-95% )....

I can accept the error (about 80-90%) but I want to find out how to calculate the smallest error.. 

0 Kudos