CAD to Geodatabase Not Producing Output

06-30-2011 09:18 AM
BrianJames
New Contributor
I am experimenting with the CAD to Geodatabase tool in ArcGIS 10. I am taking a single DWG file and attempting to get into an existing geodatabase that I have. When I do this, however, it processes and processes and processes, but nothing comes out. No errors, but no output either. I know others have posted about this, but I have not seen a resolution posted, so I thought I would give this a try. Eventually I'll approximately 150 or so CAD files to bring into this geodatabase; but for now, I'll be happy if I can get one to work properly.

Thank you for your assistance!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohnBlackmore
New Contributor II
Did you ever find a resolution to this?  I am having a similar problem; I can't get more than one CAD file into the GDB.  I have tried multiple times just using the tool, and even building a simple model. 

Very frustrating....  esri?
0 Kudos
AnantThunuguntla
New Contributor III
I am experimenting with the CAD to Geodatabase tool in ArcGIS 10. I am taking a single DWG file and attempting to get into an existing geodatabase that I have. When I do this, however, it processes and processes and processes, but nothing comes out. No errors, but no output either. I know others have posted about this, but I have not seen a resolution posted, so I thought I would give this a try. Eventually I'll approximately 150 or so CAD files to bring into this geodatabase; but for now, I'll be happy if I can get one to work properly.

Thank you for your assistance!

Hi Brian,

Do you have any sample file which you can upload? I can test it out.
0 Kudos
BrianJames
New Contributor
Sorry for not responding sooner; I've been on vacation. I have attached a CAD file that I have been working with. Hope it helps!
0 Kudos
MarkMcGovern
New Contributor II
I've also just tried this for the first time with a similar result. The tool processes successfully (I get the green tick on completion) but no output data is created in the target gdb. Does this tool achieve anything different to just adding the dwg and performing an Export Data from the TOC?
Cheers.
0 Kudos
jAnderson
New Contributor
I'm having the same problems as well, I get the green check mark and no output? I have issues with the Python script below, and convert CAD dataset.

# Name: ImportCADandMerge.py
# Description: Imports and merges polylines from one workspace into a single feature class
# Author: ESRI

# Import system modules
import arcpy
from arcpy import env

env.workspace = "C:/data"

# Create a value table that will hold the input feature classes for Merge
vTab = arcpy.ValueTable()

# Step through each dataset in the list
for fd in arcpy.ListDatasets("*", "features"):
    layername = fd + "_Layer"
    # Select only the Polyine features on the drawing layer CHK_PAD
    arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(fd + "/Polyline", layername, "\"Layer\" = 'CHK_Access'")
    vTab.addRow(layername )

# Merge the CAD features into one feature class
arcpy.Merge_management(vTab, "C:/data/Nowlin.gdb/Access_Roads")
0 Kudos
jAnderson
New Contributor
I'm having the same problems as well, I get the green check mark and no output? I have issues with the Python script below, and convert CAD dataset.

# Name: ImportCADandMerge.py
# Description: Imports and merges polylines from one workspace into a single feature class
# Author: ESRI

# Import system modules
import arcpy
from arcpy import env

env.workspace = "C:/data"

# Create a value table that will hold the input feature classes for Merge
vTab = arcpy.ValueTable()

# Step through each dataset in the list
for fd in arcpy.ListDatasets("*", "features"):
    layername = fd + "_Layer"
    # Select only the Polyine features on the drawing layer CHK_PAD
    arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(fd + "/Polyline", layername, "\"Layer\" = 'CHK_Access'")
    vTab.addRow(layername )

# Merge the CAD features into one feature class
arcpy.Merge_management(vTab, "C:/data/Nowlin.gdb/Access_Roads")
0 Kudos