.bmp to .xls

12-20-2015 08:04 PM
OnurBozdemir
New Contributor

Hi all,

I have around 12500 images as .bmp file and I have to write all this gps values in the excel sheet like table (date, time, latitude, longtitute, temperature, and depth included in the table) Is it possible to convert all the values from .bmp files to excel by one click? or else am I have to write these values one by one? pls if anyone knows the solution, contact me

ps. The GPS was the old one and I sold it for buying a new one. These data are my old data in my storage and my new GPS does not compatible with old ones.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a bmp is an image ... you want numbers, hence you want something that will read a picture of a dataset and convert it to a spreadsheet... like an optical character reader.  I will say no since it will save you wasting your time looking but with the hope that someone has developed a toolset like ArcOptical for such a task.

Now if the data are still in your gps, explore ways of downloading it in any other format that a picture/bmp.  Try DNRGPS it works with most gps units and will allow you to read data out in a useful format.  DNR Garmin Application: Minnesota DNR

the faint hope that you still have the gps unit.

0 Kudos
OnurBozdemir
New Contributor

Thank you for response. I am trying now

0 Kudos
OnurBozdemir
New Contributor

Not working

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You may have better luck with this question on a forum fir your old GPS. What you are trying to extract us info from the EXIF file. I am no expert on this and I'm not sure if there is anyway to automate this, but in case this is new to you, here are a few links that talk about EXIF files and extracting info.

How do you find the GPS coordinates of your photos? - Digital Photo Secrets

Software to extract/exploit GPS data from image files? - Photo.net Digital Darkroom Forum

Google Groups

Im not sure if any of those will automate, or work with .bmp files (most talk about .jpg) but might give you some leads.

edit....one more   Photo GPS Extract - show the location of a photo on a Google map

Btw, why do you need them in an excel file?  There should be other ways to display if you just need to georeference them...ie fir point, attachment display.

0 Kudos
OnurBozdemir
New Contributor

Well ok. The first thing is I am searching on all the forums about GIS and GPS of course!. However this is a bit different situation because the links you have written are giving just an information about the pictures' properties I think.

Secondly, I will make a temperature map on ArcMap so I have to write everything in excel. It's like an anomaly map for example.

0 Kudos
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

Have you tried the Conversion tool - Raster to ASCII? You would of course have to convert the BMP first into a rasterdataset.

Raster to Point also comes in mind if you were wanting the latitude/longitude in a table.

0 Kudos
BruceLang
Occasional Contributor III

One possible way to convert an image to text is through Google drive.  See this google article: https://support.google.com/drive/answer/176692?hl=en

The resulting text file will, undoubtedly, need to be reviewed, corrected, and reformatted for excel, but this is a start.  I wish you well.

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

The Data Interoperability extension can write images into cells in an Excel spreadsheet.

It isn't clear what format your data (other than BMP files) are in but if it is something DI can read (or it can be made so) then you should be able to make an XLS or XLSX with your images embedded.

0 Kudos
OnurBozdemir
New Contributor

Thank you for response. I am using ABBYY reader now but it's not helpful I think the only way is being a coach potato and writing all the values one by one

0 Kudos