best way to delete oracle schema in ArcSDE Database

03-09-2012 12:59 PM
AshakaThakore
New Contributor II
I have an oracle schema on my oracle database instance which has ArcSDE installed on it...
In that schema there are no feature class but I can open its tables in arccatalog and it does have some arcsde system-tables like - TABLE_REGISTRY layers, SDE_XML_COLUMNS etc..
Now  I want to drop that schema, what is the best way to drop the schema so that my database which has lot of arcsde feature classes, will not be affected at all...
I am trying to delete the tables in that schema first,  one by one by runnign sdetable -o delete command...
But i got error for one of the table -TABLE_REGISTRY which is an arcsde table

So please guide me the best way to remove that schema... thanks a lot
0 Kudos
3 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
You should not touch the ArcSDE-managed tables in a user-schema geodatabase.  Instead,
use the sdesetup utility to delete the geodatabase.

- V
0 Kudos
AshakaThakore
New Contributor II
sdesetup -o delete -d ORACLE11G -u theschemaowner
-p nomira -i 5151:theschemaowner

Thanks Vince, so once i run that command, can i drop the oracle schema using sql command - drop user myuserid cascade 

Also, if I run that command, my featureclasses, tables, in my other schemas in the same geodatabase will remain safe?

thanks a lot....
0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor
IF you are using a user-schema geodatabase, and IF there are no other owners in that
schema geodatabase, then you *should* be able to delete it safely.

I haven't ever used a user-schema geodatabase, so don't know what other complications
might be lurking. You should certianly have a full, tested backup of the database instance
before attempting removal. 

Good luck.

- V
0 Kudos